Lilium Scarlet Delight
Pack of 2
Lilium Scarlet Delight (Lilium speciosum hybrid) is a variety known for it’s abundance of flowers per stem once the plants are mature. Deep crimson to scarlet red petals highlighted with darker spots and finished off with white edges are strongly recurved, giving an excellent example of why these Liliums are called Turks Cap Lilies.
Turks Cap Lilies are renowned for their stunning blooms, longevity and ease of growing. With tall strong stems that can produce 10-20 blooms per stem these Liliums are a worthy addition to your garden. Turks Caps will take a full sun position but will obtain greater height and better flower colour in some shade as they are more of a woodland type of plant. The addition of lime to the soil may be required, but like all Liliums a well drained compost rich soil is essential. Turks Cap Liliums are best left to naturalise. An application of fertiliser each year in Spring will help to maximise the potential of these beautiful blooms.
Supplied as dormant bulbs.
- Suitable for areas with full sun
- Suitable for areas with part shade
- Ideal in pots or containers
- Suitable to cut for vases
- Plant 20-30cm apart
- Grows to 90cm-1.2m high
- Ideal Growing Regions:
- Mild Tropical
- View growing regions on the Climate Map
Availability: OUT OF STOCK/OUT OF SEASON! Available to order from mid-April to July, unless sold out.
Buy 2 or more and get them for $11.40 per item
*Price adjustments will be reflected in the cart.
Out of stock
Send me an email when this item is back in stock.
At Garden Express you can make a purchase with confidence. Our living merchandise is normally guaranteed to grow if our free growing guide instructions are followed. Any guaranteed items that do not grow within 3 months (6 months for dormant items) will be replaced, credited to your account or fully refunded.
The exception to this guarantee is discounted, end of season stock which is sold on an ‘as is’ basis. Generally this stock is sound but should be planted as soon as possible and may not perform as well as normal in season products.
Delivery is normally via Australia Post with larger orders delivered via StarTrack Express* courier. We service virtually all areas of Australia with only those areas not serviced by these organisations being excluded (e.g. remote islands and Territories such as Christmas Island, Lord Howe Island, Norfolk Island, Cocos Islands, Groote Eylandt). We do not deliver outside Australia but happily deliver orders placed from overseas for Australian delivery. Our regular delivery charge for basic items is $11.50 Australia-wide, regardless of the number of items ordered. Due to their higher freight costs, bulky or heavy products such as roses, large pots and a small number of hard goods have higher delivery charges. The summary of all current delivery options is:
- Orders NOT containing Roses, 120mm and larger pots/grow-bags, Bare-rooted Trees, Composting Buckets, nor any items with individually specified delivery charges, all delivered at one time, will incur the normal $11.50 freight charge. These items are referred to as “Basic Items“.
- Orders containing bush Roses, 120mm up to 155mm pot/grow-bags, Composting Buckets, together with other products delivered at the same time will incur a $16.90 freight charge.
- Orders containing Trixie Fruit Trees, Dwarf Fruit Trees, Lilac Trees, Standard and/or Patio Roses, 160mm up to a 200mm pot/grow-bags, together with other products delivered at the same time will incur a $25.50 freight charge.
- Orders containing Bare-rooted Trees, Bagged Trees, Weeping Roses, Larger items or pots/grow-bags greater than 200mm, together with other products delivered at the same time, will incur a $35.00 freight charge. Remote areas may incur an additional Freight charge but we will notify customers individually if this is the case.
- Orders containing products with explicitly stated delivery charges will incur charges as detailed in the individual product description.
- Some items may be delayed due to climatic or growing habits prevent them from being harvested at the time of being offered for purchase. You will be offered a choice to wait until all items on your order are available or to receive what is currently available for an additional freight charge of $4.00.
- We continue to maintain the simplest form of postage costs for the large variety of products we range, however in occasional circumstances of oversized orders and/or delivery location, the cost of freight can significantly impact delivery of an order therefore we reserve the right to refuse the order or contact the customer to discuss freight options and pricing.
Orders containing products from two different seasons (eg Rose or spring bulb pre-orders) that require separate deliveries will incur two delivery charges at the relevant rates (unless a free freight offer applies). A $4.00 Quarantine Inspection Surcharge applies in addition to the Delivery Charge for orders delivered to Tasmania, Northern Territory and Western Australia due to the increased complexity of quarantine requirements.
As quarantine inspections apply to each delivery, 2 quarantine charges will apply where orders contain products from different seasons. *Please note that if you order large items (eg Patio, Standard or Weeping Roses, Fruit Trees) you must specify a street address for the delivery address. StarTrack Express generally do not deliver to PO Boxes or RSD addresses so your order will be held until a suitable address is obtained. In rural areas, StarTrack may deliver to physical addresses such as general stores that act as Australia Post agencies but we suggest you check with them first. Where ‘Free Delivery’ vouchers apply to an order, details of the voucher should be entered in the “Your message to us” field. Orders (except Pre-orders) are normally despatched within 7-14 working days from the time of ordering during busy periods. Delivery times may be extended during peak periods (typically following the release of the latest catalogue), extended public holidays, if extreme weather conditions are not suitable for live plant transport or as detailed in the product description.
Individual items may be back-ordered to avoid delaying the delivery of other items. Please allow additional delivery time for orders to Tasmania, Northern Territory and Western Australia due to quarantine restrictions.
Please note: Some orders may not be possible to parts of Australia due to quarantine and some items may carry unique delivery charges. Check full delivery policy.
Common Name: LILIUM
Also known as: Longiflorum – Christmas Lily, November Lily, Oriental -. Florist Lily
Botanical Name: Lilium spp
Family Name: Liliaceae
Plant Type: Fleshy Bulb
Size: 70 cm to 120cm
Planting Time: Winter to Spring
Planting Width: 20–40cm Depth: 10-20cm
Positioning: Full Sun to Part Shade
General Information: There are many varieties of lilies; LA Hybrids, Oriental, Asiatic, and Longflorum. All have long lasting flowers.
Soil: Well drained, friable and moist. If growing in pots use a potting mix specifically for bulbs.
Watering: Responds well to generous watering in summer.
Fertilising: Prepare the soil with well-rotted animal manure or a complete fertiliser before planting. Mulch well to keep soil cool and moist. Liquid fertilising once plants are setting buds is beneficial to keep lower foliage green. Top dress with fertiliser in late winter.
Pruning: It is best to remove old flower heads once flowers fade to promote bulb growth. Cut down to ground level once foliage has died off completely. Bulbs can be left in the ground to naturalise or lifted and separated. Replant without delay.
Dislikes: Being moved, wet feet.
Pests: Aphids but generally pest resistant.
✔ Ideal for pots, excellent cut flowers.
Tips: Plant immediately after purchase and do not allow the bulbs to dry out. Oriental lilies prefer a cooler, more sheltered position and may require staking and protection from hot winds. Double Tiger Lily lilium lancifolium requires
the same conditions as other liliums except this one grows to a height of 1.5 m and is a little less fussy about soil type. If growing in pots, make sure the pot is 200 mm minimum. Place no more than 3 bulbs per pot, and make sure the bulbs
are leaning slightly inwards to encourage plants to support each other. Grow outside in a sunny aspect and pots can be brought inside once flowering. After flowering, or when picking for cut flowers, cut the plant to about half way down the
stem to enable the plant to develop the bulb for next year’s flowers.
Establish which coloured region you live in and then consider the varieties listed as typically suited to that area. The Australian Climate Guide map is intended as a guide only as climatic conditions vary between specific locations. Factors such as local altitude, wind and the proximity of hills, mountains and bodies of water can cause variations from the generalised climate map. Note also that although a plant may be listed as suitable for a particular region, it may still require protection from extremes such as frost or strong winds. You should also consider its requirements for sun, shade and water.
Remember that you can often extend the range of plants that you can grow by creating micro-climates within your garden. Planting under trees, beside brick walls or in the shelter of a building, on high or low points in the garden can all have an effect. Even planting by a pond or surrounded by rocks can be used to advantage. Part of the joy of gardening can be experimenting and nothing is more pleasing that achieving success with a plant that is not usually seen in your area.
The map is based on Australian Bureau of Meteorology 30 year climatology data from 1961-1990. The zones are based on both temperature and humidity:
- Tropical – hot humid summer .
- Mild Tropical – warm humid summer
- Semi-arid – hot dry summer, cold winter
- Arid – hot dry summer, cold winter
- Temperate – warm summer, cool winter
- Cool – mild-warm summer, cool winter