WOLLEMI PINE – 200mm Pot
The Wollemi Pine is one of the world’s oldest and rarest plants dating back to the time of the dinosaurs. With less than 100 adult trees known to exist in the wild, the Wollemi Pine is now the focus of extensive research to safeguard its survival. Assist in the conservation effort by growing your own Wollemi Pine and becoming part of one of the most dramatic comebacks in natural history. It has dark green mature foliage and bubbly bark. Quite often they are multi trunked and can grow up to 10-15m however they can be kept as a stunning feature plant in a good size pot.
Each Wollemi Pine will come with its own detailed care instructions and will arrive in a specially designed cardboard box to ensure its safe delivery.
Here is a great opportunity to have this iconic Jurassic plant in your garden or on you patio thanks to improved propagation techniques that have secured good future stocks of this world famous tree.
Wollemi Pines grow to their surroundings, and will be content for up to 15 years in a large pot, making this a great gift for someone special. Perfect as a potted genuine Australian Christmas Tree!
Supplied as a potted plant
(Note: Display pot not included.)
Acquire your piece of prehistory now.
- Frost tolerant once established
- Suitable for areas with part shade
- Suitable for areas with full shade
- Ideal in pots or containers
- Grows 2.5m wide
- Grows to 10 - 15m high
At Garden Express you can make a purchase with confidence. Our living merchandise is normally guaranteed to grow if our free growing guide instructions are followed. Any guaranteed items that do not grow within 3 months (6 months for dormant items) will be replaced, credited to your account or fully refunded.
The exception to this guarantee is discounted, end of season stock which is sold on an ‘as is’ basis. Generally this stock is sound but should be planted as soon as possible and may not perform as well as normal in season products.
Delivery is normally via Australia Post with larger orders delivered via StarTrack Express* courier. We service virtually all areas of Australia with only those areas not serviced by these organisations being excluded (e.g. remote islands and Territories such as Christmas Island, Lord Howe Island, Norfolk Island, Cocos Islands, Groote Eylandt). We do not deliver outside Australia but happily deliver orders placed from overseas for Australian delivery. Our regular delivery charge for basic items is $9.90 Australia-wide, regardless of the number of items ordered. Due to their higher freight costs, bulky or heavy products such as roses, large pots and a small number of hard goods have higher delivery charges. The summary of all current delivery options is:
- Orders NOT containing Roses, 120mm and larger pots/grow-bags, Bare-rooted Trees, Composting Buckets, nor any items with individually specified delivery charges, all delivered at one time, will incur the normal $9.90 freight charge. These items are referred to as “Basic Items”.
- Orders containing bush Roses, 120mm up to 155mm pot/grow-bags, Composting Buckets, together with other products delivered at the same time will incur a $14.90 freight charge.
- Orders containing Trixie Fruit Trees, Dwarf Fruit Trees, Lilac Trees, Standard and/or Patio Roses, 160mm up to a 200mm pot/grow-bags, together with other products delivered at the same time will incur a $22.00 freight charge.
- Orders containing Bare-rooted Trees, Weeping Roses, Magnolias and other Larger items or pots/grow-bags greater than 200mm, together with other products delivered at the same time, will incur a $35.00 freight charge. Remote areas may incur an additional Freight charge but we will notify customers individually if this is the case.
- Orders containing products with explicitly stated delivery charges will incur charges as detailed in the individual product description.
- Some items may delayed due to climatic or growing habits prevent them from being harvested at the time of being offered for purchase. You will be offered a choice to wait until all items on your order are available or to receive what is currently available for an additional freight charge of $4.00.
Orders containing products from two different seasons (eg Rose or spring bulb pre-orders) that require separate deliveries will incur two delivery charges at the relevant rates (unless a free freight offer applies). A $4.00 Quarantine Inspection Surcharge applies in addition to the Delivery Charge for orders delivered to Tasmania, Northern Territory and Western Australia due to the increased complexity of quarantine requirements.
As quarantine inspections apply to each delivery, 2 quarantine charges will apply where orders contain products from different seasons. *Please note that if you order large items (eg Patio, Standard or Weeping Roses, Fruit Trees) you must specify a street address for the delivery address. StarTrack Express generally do not deliver to PO Boxes or RSD addresses so your order will be held until a suitable address is obtained. In rural areas StarTrack may deliver to physical addresses such as general stores that act as Australia Post agencies but we suggest you check with them first. Where ‘Free Delivery’ vouchers apply to an order, details of the voucher should be entered in the “Your message to us” field. Orders (except Pre-orders) are normally despatched within 7-14 working days from the time of ordering during busy periods. Delivery times may be extended during peak periods (typically following the release of the latest catalogue), extended public holidays, if extreme weather conditions are not suitable for live plant transport or as detailed in the product description.
Individual items may be back ordered to avoid delaying the delivery of other items. Please allow additional delivery time for orders to Tasmania, Northern Territory and Western Australia due to quarantine restrictions.
Please note: Some orders may not be possible to parts of Australia due to quarantine and some items may carry unique delivery charges. Check full delivery policy.
TOP TIPS FOR WOLLEMI PINE CARE
- Water as soon as the potting mix/soil becomes dry in the top 5cm of the pot-every one or two weeks. Do not over water or leave the pot sitting in a saucer of water.
- If kept indoors, place the plant in a well-lit position near a window or doorway, and take it outside to a sheltered position one week in every month.
- Use a slow release, low phosphorus granular fertiliser and feed with liquid fertiliser for optimum growth.
- Prune in the winter months to maintain a compact form.
- If planting in the garden, ensure the hole you dig is at least twice the width of the pot.
In optimal conditions a young Wollemi Pine (up to 18 months of age) will grow around one metre each year, while a more mature plant will grow around one metre per year-perhaps reaching a height twenty metres during its lifetime. If the plant is not fertilised or kept in medium to low light conditions, it will grow more slowly.
The pot which contains your Wollemi Pine is biodegradable. You should re-pot your plant within 3 to 4 months into a larger pot using a good-quality potting mix, (one for Australian Natives). The plant can be maintained in a pot almost indefinitely, which makes it ideal for patios, verandahs and courtyards, as well as indoors.
If planting a single specimen in your garden, choose a well drained, fertile site and leave a 2.5 metre radius around the tree. If you wish to create a grove or hedge effect, plant the trees around 1-2 metres apart. Remove your Wollemi Pine from its biodegradable pot before planting,then crush and place the pot in your compost bin or garden.
For an outdoor living area such as a balcony or courtyard, choose a sheltered location out of the full sun. If placed directly from shade into the full sun, the plant may develop some tip-burn and yellowing of the foliage-as do other rainforest and Araucariaceae species. It will however, regain its regular deep green appearance.
Indoors, your Wollemi Pine should be placed in a well-lit position preferably near a window or doorway. As with all indoor plants, especially trees, the Wollemi Pine occasionally needs to be placed outdoors in a sheltered, shaded area. It is recommended this be done for one week out of every month.
The Wollemi Pine can be pruned heavily, with as much as two-thirds of the plant size removed. You can prune both the upright stems and the branches. New buds will usually generate from below the cut, and to stimulate growth after pruning add a slow release granular fertiliser.
It is best to prune in the winter months for large diameter stems and branches (greater than 5cm). Use sterile, sharp pruning equipment to match the size of the stem or branch being pruned.
If your Wollemi Pine has been planted in the garden as a feature tree, there is no need to prune unless you wish to reduce its size or encourage multiple-stemming.
For more information or FAQ visit www.wollemipine.com.
As the owner of a tree that is a survivor from the Age of the Dinosaurs, a miraculous time traveller and one of the greatest living fossils discovered in the twentieth century. The story of your beautiful plant began back before the Jurassic Period.
Wollemi Pines are remarkable and intriguing in the way they grow, and they still surprise the horticulturists who propagate them. This tree will go through many fascinating changes as the seasons pass and as it matures.
You can look forward to the formation of the strange ‘polar caps’ and, in time, see its extraordinary bubbly bark as well in its prehistoric foliage.