Hyacinth Vase Kit Pink
Pack of 1
Hyacinth Vase Kit Pink consists of a Boxed Kit contain: 1 large pink Hyacinth bulb, 1 transparent glass vase, charcoal pieces.
Everyone loves to grow bulbs in pots or the garden beds but there is also another way to have flowering bulbs even if you don’t have outdoor space. Hyacinths, for instance, can be grown in a glass vase, kept indoors to flower into their fragrant beauty.
The hyacinths are grown in a special glass jar, shaped like an hourglass with the bottom half filled water and the bulb placed in the top half. Water should never touch the bottom of the bulb, just about 5mm below. Put the filled jar in a cupboard or dark place for several weeks until roots and shoots appear. Then gradually bring the vase into brighter light (avoiding hot direct sunlight) over coming weeks until the flower shoot comes into flower, where it can make a conversation piece as a display on a coffee or dining table.
Instructions are on the box or you can find them here: Growing Hyacinths in Water
A useful tip is to add some activated charcoal pieces (as used in aquariums) to the vase as these help keep the water fresh longer (note Garden Express vase kits include the carbon pieces).
Orders containing this item will be dispatched from early March.
At Garden Express you can make a purchase with confidence. Our living merchandise is normally guaranteed to grow if our free growing guide instructions are followed. Any guaranteed items that do not grow within 3 months (6 months for dormant items) will be replaced, credited to your account or fully refunded.
The exception to this guarantee is discounted, end of season stock which is sold on an ‘as is’ basis. Generally this stock is sound but should be planted as soon as possible and may not perform as well as normal in season products.
Delivery is normally via Australia Post with larger orders delivered via StarTrack Express* courier. We service virtually all areas of Australia with only those areas not serviced by these organisations being excluded (e.g. remote islands and Territories such as Christmas Island, Lord Howe Island, Norfolk Island, Cocos Islands, Groote Eylandt). We do not deliver outside Australia but happily deliver orders placed from overseas for Australian delivery. Our regular delivery charge for basic items is $11.50 Australia-wide, regardless of the number of items ordered. Due to their higher freight costs, bulky or heavy products such as roses, large pots and a small number of hard goods have higher delivery charges. The summary of all current delivery options is:
- Orders NOT containing Roses, 120mm and larger pots/grow-bags, Bare-rooted Trees, Composting Buckets, nor any items with individually specified delivery charges, all delivered at one time, will incur the normal $11.50 freight charge. These items are referred to as “Basic Items“.
- Orders containing bush Roses, 120mm up to 155mm pot/grow-bags, Composting Buckets, together with other products delivered at the same time will incur a $16.90 freight charge.
- Orders containing Trixie Fruit Trees, Dwarf Fruit Trees, Lilac Trees, Standard and/or Patio Roses, 160mm up to a 200mm pot/grow-bags, together with other products delivered at the same time will incur a $25.50 freight charge.
- Orders containing Bare-rooted Trees, Bagged Trees, Weeping Roses, Larger items or pots/grow-bags greater than 200mm, together with other products delivered at the same time, will incur a $35.00 freight charge. Remote areas may incur an additional Freight charge but we will notify customers individually if this is the case.
- Orders containing products with explicitly stated delivery charges will incur charges as detailed in the individual product description.
- Some items may be delayed due to climatic or growing habits prevent them from being harvested at the time of being offered for purchase. You will be offered a choice to wait until all items on your order are available or to receive what is currently available for an additional freight charge of $4.00.
- We continue to maintain the simplest form of postage costs for the large variety of products we range, however in occasional circumstances of oversized orders and/or delivery location, the cost of freight can significantly impact delivery of an order therefore we reserve the right to refuse the order or contact the customer to discuss freight options and pricing.
Orders containing products from two different seasons (eg Rose or spring bulb pre-orders) that require separate deliveries will incur two delivery charges at the relevant rates (unless a free freight offer applies). A $4.00 Quarantine Inspection Surcharge applies in addition to the Delivery Charge for orders delivered to Tasmania, Northern Territory and Western Australia due to the increased complexity of quarantine requirements.
As quarantine inspections apply to each delivery, 2 quarantine charges will apply where orders contain products from different seasons. *Please note that if you order large items (eg Patio, Standard or Weeping Roses, Fruit Trees) you must specify a street address for the delivery address. StarTrack Express generally do not deliver to PO Boxes or RSD addresses so your order will be held until a suitable address is obtained. In rural areas, StarTrack may deliver to physical addresses such as general stores that act as Australia Post agencies but we suggest you check with them first. Where ‘Free Delivery’ vouchers apply to an order, details of the voucher should be entered in the “Your message to us” field. Orders (except Pre-orders) are normally despatched within 7-14 working days from the time of ordering during busy periods. Delivery times may be extended during peak periods (typically following the release of the latest catalogue), extended public holidays, if extreme weather conditions are not suitable for live plant transport or as detailed in the product description.
Individual items may be back-ordered to avoid delaying the delivery of other items. Please allow additional delivery time for orders to Tasmania, Northern Territory and Western Australia due to quarantine restrictions.
Please note: Some orders may not be possible to parts of Australia due to quarantine and some items may carry unique delivery charges. Check full delivery policy.
Common Name: HYACINTH
Botanical Name: Hyacinthus orientalis
Family Name: Liliaceae
Plant Type: Bulb
Size: 20-25cm H x 15cm W
Planting Time: Autumn
Planting Width: 15cm Depth: 12cm
Positioning: Full sun or partial shade, however will not thrive in heavy shade
General Information: Suitable for temperate/Dry and Mediterranean climates, thrives in a cool to cold climate but can be grown in warmer areas if chilled 4-6 weeks prior to planting. Frost hardy when in the ground. Can be susceptible to
damage from frost if in pots outdoors.
Watering: Water well after planting but not again until after leaves emerge unless particularly dry. Give regular deep watering from when the buds appear until stems die down.
Fertilising: Manure, blood and bone or complete fertiliser should be worked through the soil before planting. Soil must be well drained and enriched with organic matter.
Soil: Well drained, rich in organic matter.
Lifting & Storage: Once the foliage of the hyacinth turns yellow they need to be dug up, dried and cleaned with a cloth and stored in a dry and airy place until the next season.
Pests: Hyacinths are generally not susceptible to pest and disease problems.
Tips: For best results in the next season remove spent flower stems and continue to water and feed the plant until all the foliage starts to turn yellow and die down.
Potting Hyacinths: Hyacinths grow particularly well in pots. Choose a pot at least 15cm deep so you can apply a good base of potting mix to the bottom of the pot. Place the bulbs 10 cm from the surface of the potting mix. Water well after planting and place pot where it will receive at least half a day of sun.