Pack of 1
Hippeastrum Spartacus (Hippeastrum hybrid) features stunning red flowers with a star shaped white centre.
For a spectacular floral display you simply cannot go past Hippeastrums. Also known as Amaryllis, these large spectacular trumpet shaped flowers are produced in Summer from bare bulbs, followed by strappy green foliage as the flowers are dying off. Hippeastrums are easy to grow in pots containers or in clumps as a garden display. Bulbs need to be planted with the top 1/3 of the bulb above the soil.
Supplied as a dormant bulb.
- Suitable for areas with full sun
- Suitable for areas with part shade
- Ideal in pots or containers
- Suitable to cut for vases
- Plant 25cm apart
- Grows to 40-60cm high
Let me know when this item is back in stock!
Availability: OUT OF STOCK/OUT OF SEASON!
Enter your email address below and we'll email you when it is back in stock.
Availability: OUT OF STOCK/OUT OF SEASON! Available to order from mid-August to November, unless sold out.
Buy 2 or more and get them for $16.80 per item
Buy 5 or more and get them for $16.80 per item
*Price adjustments will be reflected in the cart.
Out of stock
At Garden Express you can make a purchase with confidence. Our living merchandise is normally guaranteed to grow if our free growing guide instructions are followed. Any guaranteed items that do not grow within 3 months (6 months for dormant items) will be replaced, credited to your account or fully refunded.
The exception to this guarantee is discounted, end of season stock which is sold on an ‘as is’ basis. Generally this stock is sound but should be planted as soon as possible and may not perform as well as normal in season products.
Delivery is normally via Australia Post with larger orders delivered via StarTrack Express* courier. We service virtually all areas of Australia with only those areas not serviced by these organisations being excluded (e.g. remote islands and Territories such as Christmas Island, Lord Howe Island, Norfolk Island, Cocos Islands, Groote Eylandt). We do not deliver outside Australia but happily deliver orders placed from overseas for Australian delivery. Our regular delivery charge for basic items is $9.90 Australia-wide, regardless of the number of items ordered. Due to their higher freight costs, bulky or heavy products such as roses, large pots and a small number of hard goods have higher delivery charges. The summary of all current delivery options is:
- Orders NOT containing Roses, 120mm and larger pots/grow-bags, Bare-rooted Trees, Composting Buckets, nor any items with individually specified delivery charges, all delivered at one time, will incur the normal $9.90 freight charge. These items are referred to as “Basic Items”.
- Orders containing bush Roses, 120mm up to 155mm pot/grow-bags, Composting Buckets, together with other products delivered at the same time will incur a $14.90 freight charge.
- Orders containing Trixie Fruit Trees, Dwarf Fruit Trees, Lilac Trees, Standard and/or Patio Roses, 160mm up to a 200mm pot/grow-bags, together with other products delivered at the same time will incur a $22.00 freight charge.
- Orders containing Bare-rooted Trees, Weeping Roses, Magnolias and other Larger items or pots/grow-bags greater than 200mm, together with other products delivered at the same time, will incur a $35.00 freight charge. Remote areas may incur an additional Freight charge but we will notify customers individually if this is the case.
- Orders containing products with explicitly stated delivery charges will incur charges as detailed in the individual product description.
- Some items may delayed due to climatic or growing habits prevent them from being harvested at the time of being offered for purchase. You will be offered a choice to wait until all items on your order are available or to receive what is currently available for an additional freight charge of $4.00.
Orders containing products from two different seasons (eg Rose or spring bulb pre-orders) that require separate deliveries will incur two delivery charges at the relevant rates (unless a free freight offer applies). A $4.00 Quarantine Inspection Surcharge applies in addition to the Delivery Charge for orders delivered to Tasmania, Northern Territory and Western Australia due to the increased complexity of quarantine requirements.
As quarantine inspections apply to each delivery, 2 quarantine charges will apply where orders contain products from different seasons. *Please note that if you order large items (eg Patio, Standard or Weeping Roses, Fruit Trees) you must specify a street address for the delivery address. StarTrack Express generally do not deliver to PO Boxes or RSD addresses so your order will be held until a suitable address is obtained. In rural areas StarTrack may deliver to physical addresses such as general stores that act as Australia Post agencies but we suggest you check with them first. Where ‘Free Delivery’ vouchers apply to an order, details of the voucher should be entered in the “Your message to us” field. Orders (except Pre-orders) are normally despatched within 7-14 working days from the time of ordering during busy periods. Delivery times may be extended during peak periods (typically following the release of the latest catalogue), extended public holidays, if extreme weather conditions are not suitable for live plant transport or as detailed in the product description.
Individual items may be back ordered to avoid delaying the delivery of other items. Please allow additional delivery time for orders to Tasmania, Northern Territory and Western Australia due to quarantine restrictions.
Please note: Some orders may not be possible to parts of Australia due to quarantine and some items may carry unique delivery charges. Check full delivery policy.
Common Name: HIPPEASTRUM Also known as Amaryllis,
Botanical Name: Hippeastrum x hybridum
Family Name: Amaryllidaceae
Plant Type: Bulb
Size: 30-60cm H x 30–40cm W
Planting Time: Late winter, early spring
Planting Width: 30cm Depth: 1/3rd of bulb above soil
Flowering: Late Spring
Positioning: Full Sun, Protect from Strong Winds
General Information: Produces spectacular trumpet shaped blooms in various colours.
Soil: Rich, well drained.
Watering: Weekly at the base of the bulbs, not into the foiliage or over the bulb nose. Overwatering will cause stem rot and red rust.
Fertilising: Prepare soil with well-rotted animal manure.
Pruning: After blooming the stem may be cut close to the bulb, leaving the leaves to grow on.
Pests: Protect from snails. Can get leaf scorch due to a fungus so do not water on the leaves or nose of the plant.
✔ Ideal for Pots or as cut flowers.
Tips: If planting in pots, allow 3–4 cm of soil around the bulb. Make sure that you have good drainage. Fertilise once flowered. Likes a sunny position so that the bulb can settle and grow to a good size.
**Bulbs can be held for flowering later in the season by placing bulb in the crisper part of the fridge (about 5 degrees) in September to hold back the flower progression. Remove bulbs and pot up as per previous directions about 5 weeks before flowers are required and keep plants about 20-25 degrees in a reasonably bright position. Flower development can be slowed by placing into a cooler position, or hastened by placing into a warmer position. After flowering bulbs will continue with normal foliage development.
**Bulbs grown in Hippeastrum vases need to be planted into soil or pots after flower has faded to complete the growth cycle. Bulb can be used again in the vase the following year.