BEARDED IRIS GAMBLER
Pack of 1
Bearded Iris Gambler Iris x hybrid has golden yellow standards that are complimented by deep burgundy brown falls, making a uniquely coloured highlight in the garden.
Bearded Iris is ideal for providing tall accents in the garden bed and is one of the most elegant and easy to grow flowers of Summer. They are extremly hardy and are drought and frost resistant once established.
Bearded Iris have attractive flat, sword-like foliage and graceful elegant flowers produced en-masse in summer. They will quickly develop into thick clumps up to 70cm wide in 3-4 years. They dislike strong winds and frosts, sunshine and good drainage is the most important thing for the plants to produce good flowers. Clumps can be divided to keep the clumps fresh or to plant in more areas of the garden.
Supplied as a bare rooted plants.
- Frost tolerant once established
- Require little water once established
- Suitable for areas with full sun
- Ideal in pots or containers
- Grows 60-70cm wide
- Grows to 60-70cm high
- Ideal Growing Regions:
- Mild Tropical
- View growing regions on the Climate Map
Let me know when this item is back in stock!
Availability: OUT OF STOCK/OUT OF SEASON!
Enter your email address below and we'll email you when it is back in stock.
Availability: OUT OF STOCK/OUT OF SEASON! Available to order all year, unless sold out.
Buy 2 or more and get them for $8.70 per item
Buy 5 or more and get them for $8.40 per item
*Price adjustments will be reflected in the cart.
Out of stock
At Garden Express you can make a purchase with confidence. Our living merchandise is normally guaranteed to grow if our free growing guide instructions are followed. Any guaranteed items that do not grow within 3 months (6 months for dormant items) will be replaced, credited to your account or fully refunded.
The exception to this guarantee is discounted, end of season stock which is sold on an ‘as is’ basis. Generally this stock is sound but should be planted as soon as possible and may not perform as well as normal in season products.
Delivery is normally via Australia Post with larger orders delivered via StarTrack Express* courier. We service virtually all areas of Australia with only those areas not serviced by these organisations being excluded (e.g. remote islands and Territories such as Christmas Island, Lord Howe Island, Norfolk Island, Cocos Islands, Groote Eylandt). We do not deliver outside Australia but happily deliver orders placed from overseas for Australian delivery. Our regular delivery charge for basic items is $9.90 Australia-wide, regardless of the number of items ordered. Due to their higher freight costs, bulky or heavy products such as roses, large pots and a small number of hard goods have higher delivery charges. The summary of all current delivery options is:
- Orders NOT containing Roses, 120mm and larger pots/grow-bags, Bare-rooted Trees, Composting Buckets, nor any items with individually specified delivery charges, all delivered at one time, will incur the normal $9.90 freight charge. These items are referred to as “Basic Items”.
- Orders containing bush Roses, 120mm up to 155mm pot/grow-bags, Composting Buckets, together with other products delivered at the same time will incur a $14.90 freight charge.
- Orders containing Trixie Fruit Trees, Dwarf Fruit Trees, Lilac Trees, Standard and/or Patio Roses, 160mm up to a 200mm pot/grow-bags, together with other products delivered at the same time will incur a $22.00 freight charge.
- Orders containing Bare-rooted Trees, Weeping Roses, Magnolias and other Larger items or pots/grow-bags greater than 200mm, together with other products delivered at the same time, will incur a $35.00 freight charge. Remote areas may incur an additional Freight charge but we will notify customers individually if this is the case.
- Orders containing products with explicitly stated delivery charges will incur charges as detailed in the individual product description.
- Some items may delayed due to climatic or growing habits prevent them from being harvested at the time of being offered for purchase. You will be offered a choice to wait until all items on your order are available or to receive what is currently available for an additional freight charge of $4.00.
Orders containing products from two different seasons (eg Rose or spring bulb pre-orders) that require separate deliveries will incur two delivery charges at the relevant rates (unless a free freight offer applies). A $4.00 Quarantine Inspection Surcharge applies in addition to the Delivery Charge for orders delivered to Tasmania, Northern Territory and Western Australia due to the increased complexity of quarantine requirements.
As quarantine inspections apply to each delivery, 2 quarantine charges will apply where orders contain products from different seasons. *Please note that if you order large items (eg Patio, Standard or Weeping Roses, Fruit Trees) you must specify a street address for the delivery address. StarTrack Express generally do not deliver to PO Boxes or RSD addresses so your order will be held until a suitable address is obtained. In rural areas StarTrack may deliver to physical addresses such as general stores that act as Australia Post agencies but we suggest you check with them first. Where ‘Free Delivery’ vouchers apply to an order, details of the voucher should be entered in the “Your message to us” field. Orders (except Pre-orders) are normally despatched within 7-14 working days from the time of ordering during busy periods. Delivery times may be extended during peak periods (typically following the release of the latest catalogue), extended public holidays, if extreme weather conditions are not suitable for live plant transport or as detailed in the product description.
Individual items may be back ordered to avoid delaying the delivery of other items. Please allow additional delivery time for orders to Tasmania, Northern Territory and Western Australia due to quarantine restrictions.
Please note: Some orders may not be possible to parts of Australia due to quarantine and some items may carry unique delivery charges. Check full delivery policy.
Common Name: BEARDED IRIS
Also known as: Rainbow Flower
Botanical Name: Iris x germanica
Family Name: Iridaceae
Plant Type: Perennial Rhizome
Size Tall: 1m H x 40cm W
Size Dwarf: 40-60cm H
Positioning: Full Sun
Flowering: Late Spring
Planting Width: 20-30cm
Planting Depth: Roots into soil, top of the rhizome just above soil surface
General Information: Attractive flat, sword-like foliage and graceful elegant flowers produced en-masse in summer. Quickly develops thick clumps up to 70cm wide in 3–4 years.
Soil: Well drained, but not too rich as this can inhibit flowering production.
Watering: Drought tolerant plant, will rot if over watered. In most areas, natural rainfall should be enough.
Fertilising: None really required, but a light application of low nitrogen fertiliser can be applied in autumn and spring.
Pruning: Remove spent flowers. Remove old leaves in autumn to allow the sunshine to help dry out the soil while not flowering.
Likes: Cool to cold winters, lime.
Dislikes: strong winds and frosts.
Pests: Insects can attack, control with insecticide as required. The rhizome will rot if buried too deep, overwatered or mulched too close.
✔ Ideal for tall accents in the garden bed.
Establish which coloured region you live in and then consider the varieties listed as typically suited to that area. The Australian Climate Guide map is intended as a guide only as climatic conditions vary between specific locations. Factors such as local altitude, wind and the proximity of hills, mountains and bodies of water can cause variations from the generalised climate map. Note also that although a plant may be listed as suitable for a particular region, it may still require protection from extremes such as frost or strong winds. You should also consider its requirements for sun, shade and water.
Remember that you can often extend the range of plants that you can grow by creating micro-climates within your garden. Planting under trees, beside brick walls or in the shelter of a building, on high or low points in the garden can all have an effect. Even planting by a pond or surrounded by rocks can be used to advantage. Part of the joy of gardening can be experimenting and nothing is more pleasing that achieving success with a plant that is not usually seen in your area.
The map is based on Australian Bureau of Meteorology 30 year climatology data from 1961-1990. The zones are based on both temperature and humidity:
- Tropical – hot humid summer .
- Mild Tropical – warm humid summer
- Semi-arid – hot dry summer, cold winter
- Arid – hot dry summer, cold winter
- Temperate – warm summer, cool winter
- Cool – mild-warm summer, cool winter