Smoat Environmentally Friendly Snail & Slug Trap Set 2
Pack of 2
Protect your plants and your pets with the SMOAT™ Environmentally Friendly Snail & Slug Trap!
Manufactured from recycled plastic this UV stabilised trap is safe for for native fauna, pets and your soil as no poisons are required. The SMOAT™ lasts a plant’s full life cycle PLUS can be transferred to another plant at any time.
SMOAT™ comes in two halves. It can be assembled before use and placed around a plant either at time of planting or afterwards where the plant is small, or directly around a larger plant already in the ground.
Steps to install:
Step 1: Dig a shallow trench for the SMOAT to sit in.
Step 2: Place a small amount of silicone (supplied) in the ridge of each half of the SMOAT.
Step 3: Press the two halves of the SMOAT together.
Step 4: Settle the SMOAT into the trench.
Step 5: Fill the SMOAT with your choice of snail attractant or deterrent.
Once installed the choice is yours to decide whether you want to attract and drown or deter snails and slugs. Our research has found that using beer or other yeast based liquid works effectively to attract the snails into the SMOAT to drown them. Alternatively we have had success in deterring snails and slugs with a solution of used coffee grounds and water.
Dimensions: 210mm W across top, 260mm W across base, 80mm H, internal gap 100mm W.
Supplied as a set of 2 SMOAT traps plus silicone sealant.
SMOAT™ is an Australian designed, manufactured and owned snail and slug barrier. It was developed by keen gardeners on the Mornington Peninsula to address ongoing problems with slugs and snails killing new plants.
The loss of multiple passionfruit vines to snail and slug damage was the catalyst to look for an innovative solution to this ongoing problem. It was critical that the solution would not hurt our pets or any of the native bird or animal life that abounds in our garden.
The search for a solution to this problem led us to the idea of creating a barrier right around a plant which snails and slugs would find difficult to navigate. This is how we came up with SMOAT™. A physical barrier that creates a “moat” around the plant once a suitable liquid is added that either attracts and drowns snails and slugs or deters them.
Since then, we have used SMOAT™ to successfully protect a large variety of plants in our garden, enabling them to grow to maturity.
SMOAT™ can be used equally around ornamental plants that snails love to eat such as lilies and roses and on productive plants including grape vines, tomatoes, chilli plants and citrus trees.
At Garden Express, we want to ensure that you have a positive purchasing experience. On the off chance your plants get stuck in the mail or haven’t arrived in the best condition, we ask that you reach out to us promptly with any concerns or issues. You can contact us via email at [email protected] or by phone at 1300 606 242, Monday to Friday EST, contacting us through social media platforms may be less reliable, so we encourage you to use our email.
Please note that it’s important to get in touch with our customer service team within 7 days of receiving your order if you have any concerns as claims regarding arrival condition after 7 days of arrival will not be recognised.
Please also remember not to dispose of any items until you’ve spoken to us, as to be eligible for a replacement, credit, or refund, we may request photos or additional information for any item(s) in question.
If you need to make a return, please contact our Customer Service department via email at [email protected] or by phone at 1300 606 242 for authorisation before proceeding. Once again contacting us through social media platforms may be less reliable, so we encourage you to use our email or phone number for a smoother experience.
It is also important to mention that discounted ‘end-of-season’ stock is sold on an ‘as is’ basis and is exempt from this guarantee. While this stock is generally sound, we recommend planting these items as soon as possible.
Our team packs and dispatches each day based on the best timing of delivery service to your state. This way we can ensure your order is in transit for the shortest time possible.
Delivery is normally via Australia Post with larger orders delivered via StarTrack Express* courier. We service virtually all areas of Australia with only those areas not serviced by these organisations being excluded (e.g. remote islands and Territories such as Christmas Island, Lord Howe Island, Norfolk Island, Cocos Islands, Groote Eylandt). We do not deliver outside Australia but happily deliver orders placed from overseas for Australian delivery. Our regular delivery charge for basic items is $12.50 Australia-wide, regardless of the number of items ordered. Due to their higher freight costs, bulky or heavy products such as roses, large pots and a small number of hard goods have higher delivery charges. The summary of all current delivery options is:
- Basic Postage $12.50: Applies to orders NOT containing Roses, 120mm and larger pots/grow-bags, Bare-rooted Trees, Composting Buckets, nor any items with individually specified delivery charges, all delivered at one time, will incur the normal $12.50 freight charge. These items are referred to as “Basic Items“.
- Roses & Larger Potted Items $16.90: Applies to orders containing bush Roses, 120mm up to 155mm pot/grow-bags, Composting Buckets, together with other products delivered at the same time will incur a $16.90 freight charge.
- Small Trees & Large Pots $25.50: Applies to orders containing Trixie Fruit Trees, Dwarf Fruit Trees, Lilac Trees, Standard and/or Patio Roses, 160mm up to a 200mm pot/grow-bags, together with other products delivered at the same time will incur a $25.50 freight charge.
- Large Items $35.00: Applies to orders containing Bare-rooted Trees, Bagged Trees, Weeping Roses, Larger items or pots/grow-bags greater than 200mm, together with other products delivered at the same time, will incur a $35.00 freight charge. Remote areas may incur an additional Freight charge but we will notify customers individually if this is the case.
- Orders containing products with explicitly stated delivery charges will incur charges as detailed in the individual product description.
- Order Split Fee: Some items may be delayed due to climatic or growing habits prevent them from being harvested at the time of being offered for purchase. You will be offered a choice to wait until all items on your order are available or to receive what is currently available for an additional freight charge of $5.00.
- We continue to maintain the simplest form of postage costs for the large variety of products we range, however in occasional circumstances of oversized orders and/or delivery location, the cost of freight can significantly impact delivery of an order therefore we reserve the right to refuse the order or contact the customer to discuss freight options and pricing.
Orders containing products from two different seasons (eg Rose or spring bulb pre-orders) that require separate deliveries will incur two delivery charges at the relevant rates (unless a free freight offer applies). A $5.00 Quarantine Inspection Surcharge applies in addition to the Delivery Charge for orders delivered to Tasmania, Northern Territory and Western Australia due to the increased complexity of quarantine requirements.
As quarantine inspections apply to each delivery, 2 quarantine charges will apply where orders contain products from different seasons. *Please note that if you order large items (eg Patio, Standard or Weeping Roses, Fruit Trees) you must specify a street address for the delivery address. StarTrack Express generally do not deliver to PO Boxes or RSD addresses so your order will be held until a suitable address is obtained. In rural areas, StarTrack may deliver to physical addresses such as general stores that act as Australia Post agencies but we suggest you check with them first. Where ‘Free Delivery’ vouchers apply to an order, details of the voucher should be entered in the “Your message to us” field. Orders (except Pre-orders) are normally despatched within 7-14 working days from the time of ordering during busy periods. Delivery times may be extended during peak periods (typically following the release of the latest catalogue), extended public holidays, if extreme weather conditions are not suitable for live plant transport or as detailed in the product description.
Individual items may be back-ordered to avoid delaying the delivery of other items. Please allow additional delivery time for orders to Tasmania, Northern Territory and Western Australia due to quarantine restrictions.
Please note: Some orders may not be possible to parts of Australia due to quarantine and some items may carry unique delivery charges. Check full delivery policy.