Bee And Insect House With Pollinator Friendly Seeds
With the world’s bee, insect and butterfly population in serious decline now you can do your bit to help increase the bee population and keep them pollinating our crops far into the future. Our Bee and Insect House contains a wooden bee house and a sachet of pollinator friendly flower seeds to help attract bees and beneficial insects to your garden.
As pollinators, bees, butterflies and insects play an essential role in our gardens. They transfer pollen from one flower to another, fertilising plants so they start forming fruits and seeds. 70 of the top 100 most popular food crops are pollinated by bees, and they pollinate 80% of all flowering plants on Earth!
Unfortunately, bees, butterflies and other beneficial insects are under increasing threat due to pesticides, parasites and climate change – but we can help them by using responsible gardening practices, planting flowers to attract them and providing them with shelter.
The seed mix is made up of the following varieties and covers approximately 2m2:
Calendula (Calendula officinalis)
Cornflower (Centaurea cyanus)
Californian Poppy (Eschscholzia californica)
Fineflower (Gilia leptantha)
Toadflax (Linaria maroccana)
Alyssum (Lobularia maritima)
Wallflower (Erysimum cheiri)
Nemophila (Nemophila menziesii)
Poppy (Papaver rhoeas)
Marigold African (Tagetes erecta)
Chinese Forget-Me-Not (Cynoglossum amabile)
Borage (Borago officinalis)
Evening Primrose (Oenothera pallida)
Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia)
Native Violet (Viola hederacea)
Swan River Daisy (Brachycome iberidifolia)
Sage (Salvia officinalis)
This bee house is suited to Australian native solitary bees, a number of which are stingless. It is not a honey hive.
Dimensions: 180mm(w) x 190mm(h) x 120mm(d)
This bee & insect house is coated in a non toxic paint for protection making it weatherproof and safe for bees and insects. It is also made of FSC timber, meaning it is responsibly sourced and eco-friendly.
How To Grow
To use, simply hook a piece of wire into the back loop of the bee and insect house and attach to a tree trunk or branch or simply place amongst the garden.
Sowing your seeds:
1. Prepare the chosen area for your seeds by turning or raking the soil until you have a good crumbly consistency, removing any stones and weeds as you go.
2. Open the seed sachet and shake out the seeds thinly and evenly directly over the prepared area.
3. Gently rake over the seed bed to lightly cover the seeds.
4. Water well until the plants are established.
– Some perennial varieties may not flower until the second year.
– Once the flowers start to appear, pollinating insects and bees will soon follow, and your garden will be a hive of activity!
Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter
At Garden Express you can make a purchase with confidence. Our living merchandise is normally guaranteed to grow if our free growing guide instructions are followed. Any guaranteed items that do not grow within 3 months (6 months for dormant items) will be replaced, credited to your account or fully refunded.
The exception to this guarantee is discounted, end of season stock which is sold on an ‘as is’ basis. Generally this stock is sound but should be planted as soon as possible and may not perform as well as normal in season products.
Delivery is normally via Australia Post with larger orders delivered via StarTrack Express* courier. We service virtually all areas of Australia with only those areas not serviced by these organisations being excluded (e.g. remote islands and Territories such as Christmas Island, Lord Howe Island, Norfolk Island, Cocos Islands, Groote Eylandt). We do not deliver outside Australia but happily deliver orders placed from overseas for Australian delivery. Our regular delivery charge for basic items is $11.50 Australia-wide, regardless of the number of items ordered. Due to their higher freight costs, bulky or heavy products such as roses, large pots and a small number of hard goods have higher delivery charges. The summary of all current delivery options is:
- Orders NOT containing Roses, 120mm and larger pots/grow-bags, Bare-rooted Trees, Composting Buckets, nor any items with individually specified delivery charges, all delivered at one time, will incur the normal $11.50 freight charge. These items are referred to as “Basic Items“.
- Orders containing bush Roses, 120mm up to 155mm pot/grow-bags, Composting Buckets, together with other products delivered at the same time will incur a $16.90 freight charge.
- Orders containing Trixie Fruit Trees, Dwarf Fruit Trees, Lilac Trees, Standard and/or Patio Roses, 160mm up to a 200mm pot/grow-bags, together with other products delivered at the same time will incur a $25.50 freight charge.
- Orders containing Bare-rooted Trees, Bagged Trees, Weeping Roses, Larger items or pots/grow-bags greater than 200mm, together with other products delivered at the same time, will incur a $35.00 freight charge. Remote areas may incur an additional Freight charge but we will notify customers individually if this is the case.
- Orders containing products with explicitly stated delivery charges will incur charges as detailed in the individual product description.
- Some items may be delayed due to climatic or growing habits prevent them from being harvested at the time of being offered for purchase. You will be offered a choice to wait until all items on your order are available or to receive what is currently available for an additional freight charge of $4.00.
- We continue to maintain the simplest form of postage costs for the large variety of products we range, however in occasional circumstances of oversized orders and/or delivery location, the cost of freight can significantly impact delivery of an order therefore we reserve the right to refuse the order or contact the customer to discuss freight options and pricing.
Orders containing products from two different seasons (eg Rose or spring bulb pre-orders) that require separate deliveries will incur two delivery charges at the relevant rates (unless a free freight offer applies). A $4.00 Quarantine Inspection Surcharge applies in addition to the Delivery Charge for orders delivered to Tasmania, Northern Territory and Western Australia due to the increased complexity of quarantine requirements.
As quarantine inspections apply to each delivery, 2 quarantine charges will apply where orders contain products from different seasons. *Please note that if you order large items (eg Patio, Standard or Weeping Roses, Fruit Trees) you must specify a street address for the delivery address. StarTrack Express generally do not deliver to PO Boxes or RSD addresses so your order will be held until a suitable address is obtained. In rural areas, StarTrack may deliver to physical addresses such as general stores that act as Australia Post agencies but we suggest you check with them first. Where ‘Free Delivery’ vouchers apply to an order, details of the voucher should be entered in the “Your message to us” field. Orders (except Pre-orders) are normally despatched within 7-14 working days from the time of ordering during busy periods. Delivery times may be extended during peak periods (typically following the release of the latest catalogue), extended public holidays, if extreme weather conditions are not suitable for live plant transport or as detailed in the product description.
Individual items may be back-ordered to avoid delaying the delivery of other items. Please allow additional delivery time for orders to Tasmania, Northern Territory and Western Australia due to quarantine restrictions.
Please note: Some orders may not be possible to parts of Australia due to quarantine and some items may carry unique delivery charges. Check full delivery policy.