Wollemi Pine Number 837 – 430mm Pot
Here is your chance to own one of our Ancient Giants!
Our 430mm potted Wollemi Trees are the premium sized and aged trees that represent the pinnacle of the Wollemi production program. A limited selection of trees from each heritage year of propagation are withheld from sale and grown on with great pride and love to become these limited edition specimens, with each tree usually having achieved a level of maturity to throw male and sometime female cones.
Like all the Wollemi Pines these mature trees develop their individuality and each tree has been lovingly nurtured and cared for so it can express it’s own personality. Because of this we are listing them individually so you can choose your perfect tree.
Tree Number 837 is from the 2008 Crop Heritage. Lovingly propagated and raised in 2008 by Gary & Westy; two of our longstanding Wollemi Carers who each managed a decade of Wollemi production.
Straight and tall, and reaching around 175cm out of the pot, the bright green Spring growth is being flashed around in abundance with this beauty making it appear quite full and luxurious.
The Wollemi Pine (Wollemia nobilis) is one of the world’s oldest and rarest plants dating back to the time of the dinosaurs. With less than 100 adult trees known to exist in the wild, the Wollemi Pine has been the focus of extensive research to safeguard its survival. Assist in the conservation effort by growing your own Wollemi Pine and becoming part of one of the most dramatic comebacks in natural history. The Wollemi Pine will naturally grow to a large narrow tree, sometimes with multiple trunks. Featuring dark green mature foliage and bubbly bark once mature, the new growth in Spring shows off a soft bronze-green tinge before turning bright green and then a deeper green.
Wollemi Pines can grow up to 10-15m in the ground, however they can be kept as a stunning feature plant in a good size pot.
Here is a great opportunity to have this iconic Jurassic plant in your garden or on your patio thanks to improved propagation techniques that have secured good future stocks of this world famous tree.
Wollemi Pines grow to their surroundings, and will be content for up to 15 years in a large pot, making this a great gift for someone special. Perfect as a potted genuine Australian Christmas Tree!
Supplied as a potted plant.
- Frost tolerant once established
- Suitable for areas with part shade
- Suitable for areas with full shade
- Ideal in pots or containers
- Grows 2.5m wide
- Grows to 10 - 15m high
- Ideal Growing Regions:
- Mild Tropical
- View growing regions on the Climate Map
Availability: OUT OF STOCK/OUT OF SEASON! Available to order all year, unless sold out.
1 in stock
Not for the following states due to quarantine restrictions
At Garden Express you can make a purchase with confidence. Our living merchandise is normally guaranteed to grow if our free growing guide instructions are followed. Any guaranteed items that do not grow within 3 months (6 months for dormant items) will be replaced, credited to your account or fully refunded.
The exception to this guarantee is discounted, end of season stock which is sold on an ‘as is’ basis. Generally this stock is sound but should be planted as soon as possible and may not perform as well as normal in season products.
Delivery is normally via Australia Post with larger orders delivered via StarTrack Express* courier. We service virtually all areas of Australia with only those areas not serviced by these organisations being excluded (e.g. remote islands and Territories such as Christmas Island, Lord Howe Island, Norfolk Island, Cocos Islands, Groote Eylandt). We do not deliver outside Australia but happily deliver orders placed from overseas for Australian delivery. Our regular delivery charge for basic items is $11.50 Australia-wide, regardless of the number of items ordered. Due to their higher freight costs, bulky or heavy products such as roses, large pots and a small number of hard goods have higher delivery charges. The summary of all current delivery options is:
- Orders NOT containing Roses, 120mm and larger pots/grow-bags, Bare-rooted Trees, Composting Buckets, nor any items with individually specified delivery charges, all delivered at one time, will incur the normal $11.50 freight charge. These items are referred to as “Basic Items“.
- Orders containing bush Roses, 120mm up to 155mm pot/grow-bags, Composting Buckets, together with other products delivered at the same time will incur a $16.90 freight charge.
- Orders containing Trixie Fruit Trees, Dwarf Fruit Trees, Lilac Trees, Standard and/or Patio Roses, 160mm up to a 200mm pot/grow-bags, together with other products delivered at the same time will incur a $25.50 freight charge.
- Orders containing Bare-rooted Trees, Bagged Trees, Weeping Roses, Larger items or pots/grow-bags greater than 200mm, together with other products delivered at the same time, will incur a $35.00 freight charge. Remote areas may incur an additional Freight charge but we will notify customers individually if this is the case.
- Orders containing products with explicitly stated delivery charges will incur charges as detailed in the individual product description.
- Some items may be delayed due to climatic or growing habits prevent them from being harvested at the time of being offered for purchase. You will be offered a choice to wait until all items on your order are available or to receive what is currently available for an additional freight charge of $4.00.
- We continue to maintain the simplest form of postage costs for the large variety of products we range, however in occasional circumstances of oversized orders and/or delivery location, the cost of freight can significantly impact delivery of an order therefore we reserve the right to refuse the order or contact the customer to discuss freight options and pricing.
Orders containing products from two different seasons (eg Rose or spring bulb pre-orders) that require separate deliveries will incur two delivery charges at the relevant rates (unless a free freight offer applies). A $4.00 Quarantine Inspection Surcharge applies in addition to the Delivery Charge for orders delivered to Tasmania, Northern Territory and Western Australia due to the increased complexity of quarantine requirements.
As quarantine inspections apply to each delivery, 2 quarantine charges will apply where orders contain products from different seasons. *Please note that if you order large items (eg Patio, Standard or Weeping Roses, Fruit Trees) you must specify a street address for the delivery address. StarTrack Express generally do not deliver to PO Boxes or RSD addresses so your order will be held until a suitable address is obtained. In rural areas, StarTrack may deliver to physical addresses such as general stores that act as Australia Post agencies but we suggest you check with them first. Where ‘Free Delivery’ vouchers apply to an order, details of the voucher should be entered in the “Your message to us” field. Orders (except Pre-orders) are normally despatched within 7-14 working days from the time of ordering during busy periods. Delivery times may be extended during peak periods (typically following the release of the latest catalogue), extended public holidays, if extreme weather conditions are not suitable for live plant transport or as detailed in the product description.
Individual items may be back-ordered to avoid delaying the delivery of other items. Please allow additional delivery time for orders to Tasmania, Northern Territory and Western Australia due to quarantine restrictions.
Please note: Some orders may not be possible to parts of Australia due to quarantine and some items may carry unique delivery charges. Check full delivery policy.
TOP TIPS FOR WOLLEMI PINE CARE
- Water as soon as the potting mix/soil becomes dry in the top 5cm of the pot-every one or two weeks. Do not over water or leave the pot sitting in a saucer of water.
- If kept indoors, place the plant in a well-lit position near a window or doorway, and take it outside to a sheltered position one week in every month.
- Use a slow release, low phosphorus granular fertiliser and feed with liquid fertiliser for optimum growth.
- Prune in the winter months to maintain a compact form.
- If planting in the garden, ensure the hole you dig is at least twice the width of the pot.
In optimal conditions a young Wollemi Pine (up to 18 months of age) will grow around one metre each year, while a more mature plant will grow around one metre per year-perhaps reaching a height twenty metres during its lifetime. If the plant is not fertilised or kept in medium to low light conditions, it will grow more slowly.
The pot which contains your Wollemi Pine is biodegradable. You should re-pot your plant within 3 to 4 months into a larger pot using a good-quality potting mix, (one for Australian Natives). The plant can be maintained in a pot almost indefinitely, which makes it ideal for patios, verandahs and courtyards, as well as indoors.
If planting a single specimen in your garden, choose a well drained, fertile site and leave a 2.5 metre radius around the tree. If you wish to create a grove or hedge effect, plant the trees around 1-2 metres apart. Remove your Wollemi Pine from its biodegradable pot before planting,then crush and place the pot in your compost bin or garden.
For an outdoor living area such as a balcony or courtyard, choose a sheltered location out of the full sun. If placed directly from shade into the full sun, the plant may develop some tip-burn and yellowing of the foliage-as do other rainforest and Araucariaceae species. It will however, regain its regular deep green appearance.
Indoors, your Wollemi Pine should be placed in a well-lit position preferably near a window or doorway. As with all indoor plants, especially trees, the Wollemi Pine occasionally needs to be placed outdoors in a sheltered, shaded area. It is recommended this be done for one week out of every month.
The Wollemi Pine can be pruned heavily, with as much as two-thirds of the plant size removed. You can prune both the upright stems and the branches. New buds will usually generate from below the cut, and to stimulate growth after pruning add a slow release granular fertiliser.
It is best to prune in the winter months for large diameter stems and branches (greater than 5cm). Use sterile, sharp pruning equipment to match the size of the stem or branch being pruned.
If your Wollemi Pine has been planted in the garden as a feature tree, there is no need to prune unless you wish to reduce its size or encourage multiple-stemming.
For more information or FAQ visit www.wollemipine.com.
As the owner of a tree that is a survivor from the Age of the Dinosaurs, a miraculous time traveller and one of the greatest living fossils discovered in the twentieth century. The story of your beautiful plant began back before the Jurassic Period.
Wollemi Pines are remarkable and intriguing in the way they grow, and they still surprise the horticulturists who propagate them. This tree will go through many fascinating changes as the seasons pass and as it matures.
You can look forward to the formation of the strange ‘polar caps’ and, in time, see its extraordinary bubbly bark as well in its prehistoric foliage.
Establish which coloured region you live in and then consider the varieties listed as typically suited to that area. The Australian Climate Guide map is intended as a guide only as climatic conditions vary between specific locations. Factors such as local altitude, wind and the proximity of hills, mountains and bodies of water can cause variations from the generalised climate map. Note also that although a plant may be listed as suitable for a particular region, it may still require protection from extremes such as frost or strong winds. You should also consider its requirements for sun, shade and water.
Remember that you can often extend the range of plants that you can grow by creating micro-climates within your garden. Planting under trees, beside brick walls or in the shelter of a building, on high or low points in the garden can all have an effect. Even planting by a pond or surrounded by rocks can be used to advantage. Part of the joy of gardening can be experimenting and nothing is more pleasing that achieving success with a plant that is not usually seen in your area.
The map is based on Australian Bureau of Meteorology 30 year climatology data from 1961-1990. The zones are based on both temperature and humidity:
- Tropical – hot humid summer .
- Mild Tropical – warm humid summer
- Semi-arid – hot dry summer, cold winter
- Arid – hot dry summer, cold winter
- Temperate – warm summer, cool winter
- Cool – mild-warm summer, cool winter
Looks great in the garden with...
Wollemi Pine Number 821 – 430mm Pot430mm Pot $1,800.00 Click and Collect Only
Wollemi Pine Number 826 – 430mm Pot430mm Pot $1,800.00 Click and Collect Only
Wollemi Pine Number 849 – 430mm Pot430mm Pot $1,800.00 Click and Collect Only
Wollemi Pine Number 853 – 430mm Pot430mm Pot $1,700.00 Click and Collect Only