- Please Note: Due to the Victoria storms, our Office, Customer Service Department and Nursery Shop are without power and internet with limited phone services and are closed as a result... Our webstore is still open for business and we are still shipping orders... Currently the expected office closure is until 17th June 2021... If you have concerns please email [email protected] and we will contact you as soon as possible... Thanks for your continued support and understanding.
ESSENTIALS COLLECTION WITH BONUS POT SET
Pack of 3
Our Essentials Collection will have 1 each of the following 3 herb varieties (separately labelled), plus a Bonus set of 3 pots (Valued at $10.90) :
Chives (Allium schoenoprasum )– A clumping herb, Chives offer a delicate onion flavour when used. Ideal for when the tast of onion would overpower the dish, Chives are easy to grow and will add an ornamental quality to the herb plot with their fine grasslike foliage and edible pinkish flowers.
Chives are incredibly easy to grow; they are perfect for the beginner and require a sunny position and a rich moist soil but will grow incredibly well in a pot on a windowsill. The leaves can be easily harvested by snipping with scissors at any time of the growth cycle, and regular harvesting will keep the clump actively growing. Ideally Chives benefit from being divided every 2-3 years; simply dig the clump and divide into smaller clumps and replant into freshly prepared soil. Yellowing leaves are an indication that plants are not being harvested enough and should be plucked out when seen. Grows 40-50cm W, 15-20cm H
Parsley Curly (Petroselinum crispum Var crispum) – An easy to grow herb with a variety of uses, Parsley Curly is a fast growing plant that will grow well in any veggie garden or pot.
Parsley Curly is great for using with other herbs, and will enhance the flavour of anything it is mixed with, and adding just prior to serving will lift the other flavours of the dish. And of course, this variety is often used as an ornamental garnish on plates, however it is the more bitter and stronly flavoured mature leaves that are used for this. When picked quite young and tender, Curly Parsley have a mild ‘green’ flavour and softer texture. Parsley is an extremely easy herb to grow and thrives in most climates and soils. For best results and a milder taste, harvest regularly and grow in a well drained fertile soil and water regularly in warmer climates.Grows 40cm W, 30cm H
Sorrel English (Rumex acetosa) – Also known as Spinach Dock and Narrow leaved Dock, Sorrel English is cultivated as a garden herb or salad vegetable. Extremely easy and fast to grow, Sorrel will happily grow all year round, even in very cold climates, so this is an excellent herb for year round harvesting. The young leaves have a zesty sour lemon flavour so are perfect for livening up a salad or white sauce, and leaves can also be cooked and used in a similar fashion to spinach. For best results remove flower stems to keep the plant producing young leaves, and regular harvesting will also keep new growth coming on. Sorrel will grow in any sort of well drained soil, and will grow in a partly shaded position but produces more regularly in a sunny spot. Grows up to 50cm W, 60 cm H
BONUS POT SET: Valued at $10.90. Consists of 3 brightly coloured plastic pots 110mm x 90mm that clip into a plastic tray measuring 120mm x 340mm
Supplied as potted plants. Please note: care needs to be taken using any herbs medicinally.
- Suitable for areas with full sun
- Suitable for areas with part shade
- Ideal in pots or containers
- Grows to Various high
- Ideal Growing Regions:
- Mild Tropical
- View growing regions on the Climate Map
Not for the following states due to quarantine restrictions
At Garden Express you can make a purchase with confidence. Our living merchandise is normally guaranteed to grow if our free growing guide instructions are followed. Any guaranteed items that do not grow within 3 months (6 months for dormant items) will be replaced, credited to your account or fully refunded.
The exception to this guarantee is discounted, end of season stock which is sold on an ‘as is’ basis. Generally this stock is sound but should be planted as soon as possible and may not perform as well as normal in season products.
Delivery is normally via Australia Post with larger orders delivered via StarTrack Express* courier. We service virtually all areas of Australia with only those areas not serviced by these organisations being excluded (e.g. remote islands and Territories such as Christmas Island, Lord Howe Island, Norfolk Island, Cocos Islands, Groote Eylandt). We do not deliver outside Australia but happily deliver orders placed from overseas for Australian delivery. Our regular delivery charge for basic items is $9.90 Australia-wide, regardless of the number of items ordered. Due to their higher freight costs, bulky or heavy products such as roses, large pots and a small number of hard goods have higher delivery charges. The summary of all current delivery options is:
- Orders NOT containing Roses, 120mm and larger pots/grow-bags, Bare-rooted Trees, Composting Buckets, nor any items with individually specified delivery charges, all delivered at one time, will incur the normal $9.90 freight charge. These items are referred to as “Basic Items”.
- Orders containing bush Roses, 120mm up to 155mm pot/grow-bags, Composting Buckets, together with other products delivered at the same time will incur a $14.90 freight charge.
- Orders containing Trixie Fruit Trees, Dwarf Fruit Trees, Lilac Trees, Standard and/or Patio Roses, 160mm up to a 200mm pot/grow-bags, together with other products delivered at the same time will incur a $22.00 freight charge.
- Orders containing Bare-rooted Trees, Weeping Roses, Magnolias and other Larger items or pots/grow-bags greater than 200mm, together with other products delivered at the same time, will incur a $35.00 freight charge. Remote areas may incur an additional Freight charge but we will notify customers individually if this is the case.
- Orders containing products with explicitly stated delivery charges will incur charges as detailed in the individual product description.
- Some items may delayed due to climatic or growing habits prevent them from being harvested at the time of being offered for purchase. You will be offered a choice to wait until all items on your order are available or to receive what is currently available for an additional freight charge of $4.00.
Orders containing products from two different seasons (eg Rose or spring bulb pre-orders) that require separate deliveries will incur two delivery charges at the relevant rates (unless a free freight offer applies). A $4.00 Quarantine Inspection Surcharge applies in addition to the Delivery Charge for orders delivered to Tasmania, Northern Territory and Western Australia due to the increased complexity of quarantine requirements.
As quarantine inspections apply to each delivery, 2 quarantine charges will apply where orders contain products from different seasons. *Please note that if you order large items (eg Patio, Standard or Weeping Roses, Fruit Trees) you must specify a street address for the delivery address. StarTrack Express generally do not deliver to PO Boxes or RSD addresses so your order will be held until a suitable address is obtained. In rural areas StarTrack may deliver to physical addresses such as general stores that act as Australia Post agencies but we suggest you check with them first. Where ‘Free Delivery’ vouchers apply to an order, details of the voucher should be entered in the “Your message to us” field. Orders (except Pre-orders) are normally despatched within 7-14 working days from the time of ordering during busy periods. Delivery times may be extended during peak periods (typically following the release of the latest catalogue), extended public holidays, if extreme weather conditions are not suitable for live plant transport or as detailed in the product description.
Individual items may be back ordered to avoid delaying the delivery of other items. Please allow additional delivery time for orders to Tasmania, Northern Territory and Western Australia due to quarantine restrictions.
Please note: Some orders may not be possible to parts of Australia due to quarantine and some items may carry unique delivery charges. Check full delivery policy.
Establish which coloured region you live in and then consider the varieties listed as typically suited to that area. The Australian Climate Guide map is intended as a guide only as climatic conditions vary between specific locations. Factors such as local altitude, wind and the proximity of hills, mountains and bodies of water can cause variations from the generalised climate map. Note also that although a plant may be listed as suitable for a particular region, it may still require protection from extremes such as frost or strong winds. You should also consider its requirements for sun, shade and water.
Remember that you can often extend the range of plants that you can grow by creating micro-climates within your garden. Planting under trees, beside brick walls or in the shelter of a building, on high or low points in the garden can all have an effect. Even planting by a pond or surrounded by rocks can be used to advantage. Part of the joy of gardening can be experimenting and nothing is more pleasing that achieving success with a plant that is not usually seen in your area.
The map is based on Australian Bureau of Meteorology 30 year climatology data from 1961-1990. The zones are based on both temperature and humidity:
- Tropical – hot humid summer .
- Mild Tropical – warm humid summer
- Semi-arid – hot dry summer, cold winter
- Arid – hot dry summer, cold winter
- Temperate – warm summer, cool winter
- Cool – mild-warm summer, cool winter