More in Dave's Garden

A forum dedicated to showcasing individual's garden photos capturing the triumphs, tribulations and simple pleasures that gardening provides.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, abwal, Damien, Lea

More in Dave's Garden

Postby Davekyn » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:44 pm

Some of the latest shots in my Garden: Next time I will be sure to include shots further out on most of them. I have been practicing some macro work was all:
Attachments
1.jpg
7.jpg
10.jpg
Davekyn
Head Gardener

Re: More in Dave's Garden

Postby Davekyn » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:46 pm

More
Attachments
Fly.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
Davekyn
Head Gardener

Postby JNarelle » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:53 am

Beautiful! :)
http://rocky1rocky2.blogspot.com.au/
JNarelle
Head Gardener

Postby Davekyn » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:24 am

Thanks ... That's some place you have there. I checked out the Blog. Nice. Once day the wife and I will find a patch of dirt, staple the house together and then ... finally Dig my last garden! :D
Davekyn
Head Gardener

Postby Davekyn » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:42 pm

Todays garden shot 2.jpg
Above : Midday Sun

Some more interesting shots Inside this cluster of flowers:
Attachments
5.jpg
Above: Anther under development
Tripod Iso 400.jpg
Above: Anther fully developed
Davekyn
Head Gardener

Postby Pam » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:20 am

Some nice shots there Dave.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby JNarelle » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:05 am

Davekyn wrote:Thanks ... That's some place you have there. I checked out the Blog. Nice. Once day the wife and I will find a patch of dirt, staple the house together and then ... finally Dig my last garden! :D

Yes Dave We only just bought this place this year, after a lifetime of renting it's so exciting to think that i will get to see the my garden mature.
This drought is pretty depressing though, i'm losing quite a few of my new plantings i just can't keep the water up.
http://rocky1rocky2.blogspot.com.au/
JNarelle
Head Gardener

Postby Davekyn » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:22 am

Yes ... water concerns me greatly, with regards to any future plans we may have; as does temperature. I don't mean to sound pessimistic, but there is a real shift in the environment taking place right now. I guess this change in not as noticeable for others, whom are less mindful and a somewhat clouded, with the comfort of air conditioning from room to room, then the car, as well as work and then at the shops. As a an avid Hiker, I am seeing a decline in animal activity, water sources and vegetation.

I believe this patch of dirt, I refer too, will require us to have our water trucked in and that we will be living like desert dwellers, however such is our resolve to have something of our own, that things like that can and will be over come. I'll have to use the latest water crystals and reason the cost of any future gardens and proposed system in which I will grow anything. This may all sound Bleak for many, however much of what was foretasted regarding negative environmental impacts, have now come to be. Where once people would hotly debate climate change, they now find themselves warning others. The next 20 Year (Not 50)s will impact "everyone", no matter how much up the ladder they find themselves to be.

It shall be interesting to see what types of plants people are growing. I should also find it "more" interesting, to know what Types Of People are growing what Types Of Plants, What location and Type of House they Live in. The inhabitants of Australia are very wasteful species. They work the most ours than any other country, have less time to relax and spend the most money. It's also the most expensive country in the world to live after you add up the price of food, petrol, electricity and all our other over priced services. Many in comfort refuse to see or acknowledge the 3rd world conditions in it's own back yard, yet refer to such terms when such discomfort twist their ears. Water shall indeed be a very interesting topic at the end of next decade let alone 20 years.
Davekyn
Head Gardener

Postby Davekyn » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:41 pm

--------
-----
A little grainy but still a nice flower to shoot:
Attachments
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg
Davekyn
Head Gardener

Postby abwal » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:51 am

Some great shots there. I would like to do some micro work, but, unfortunately, a micro lens for my camera is way out of my reach.
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Postby Davekyn » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:29 am

Hi abwal ... May I ask what kind of camera you have? I can appreciate that such things will not be on peoples priority list due to the extreme prices. Often if I just want 10 Bucks, I will be at my wife's feet grovelling for such things. LOL.
I had to go out and put up with some unsavoury experiences to get my camera. Alas ... I did my best with prior research and knew what I wanted in the cheapest range I could afford ... :roll: The lens I actually favour is not a macro one at all. During my research, I found that many people where have good results adapting old film lens's which they purchased for One Tenth the price of what others would suggest as the correct tool for such shooting. I paid a hefty 100 dollars (for an 135mm old film lens and canon T ring converter) which I very much had to account for ... however with a few adaptions and some more learning ... Every now and then I get a thousand dollar result  (not always ... but sometimes) I also use extension tubes which I got for about 30 dollars ... also of eBay.
The other tool I had to learn to use what software ... which I found and downloaded myself as I refuse to pay ridiculous amounts of money for a bunch of zeros.
This morning I used a Compact Camera that my wife picked up out of the Bergin Bin at some overpriced electrical store call Harvey Norman ...
Using some of my experience and a little processing in that wonderful software I just happened to find on the internet ... these are the results ... Note to self ... taken in the shade with the sun only just making its way up.
My Bargin Bin shots with a flimsy shoot and go ... Hand Held and in mostly in the shade.

This is the worst ... but I will endeavor to take one, on a tripod, when not so windy and in ample of light next time around:

Shows the possibilities with background blur and refracted light. Subject collecting what light it can as well as depicting a what's left of the bud.

Another on Collecting the morning light:

Retaining Color, being sure not to over saturate but keeping details ...

Lastly ... the better of the bunch ... looking more like a trip pod shot I am very happy with such a result ... I did use what settings most poeple ignore on thier compact shoot and goes ... the ISO one ... enable DISP and presto ... not bad for a bargain Bin Job :)
Davekyn
Head Gardener

Postby Davekyn » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:00 am

Drawing a distinction between shooting and going need not be that hard ... searching the top 10 tips list and also top Don't can greatly improve such spontaneous shooting. It can be a huge disappointment to see just how washed, blury or just plain bad compositional photo's can be for lack of taking just a few seconds to think about what it is you wish to convey through the lens. Rushed photo's can be extremely off putting ... especially in places where people wish to sell things.

Once you know just a few basics ... composition, the message/subject ... focus ... exposure ... angle and background to to start with ... You can still take shoot and go pics, but ones where the people you show, can see much better and enjoy all the more.

I still upload my imperfect shots, as sometimes you just don't have another chance to show what you've shot. I guess it's just about improving where you can with what you got. I'm still interested to know what camera you have?
Davekyn
Head Gardener

Postby abwal » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:02 am

I have a Canon EOS 450D. I do have a number of add on lenses from a previous camera, but have not been completely happy with the result. While the shots have been O.K., I would like to be able to do some really sharp ultra-closeup shots. The best I have seen have been with Canon Macro EF 100mm F2.8 L IS USM.
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Postby Davekyn » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:03 pm

Now your talking ... :) ... Perhaps you might appreciate it ... when I find time next ... I'll show a pic or my old film lens and extension tube as well as today's best pic. I also use a canon 50mm f1.8 from time to time. Hope your not melting like I am today. :wink:
Davekyn
Head Gardener

Postby Davekyn » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:32 am

Perhaps not ... I wont bore you with too many details, but I will say ... you did inspire me to achieve a little more sharpness from my old lens, as at the mention of that lense you brought to light ... my brain went a Cha-Ching knowing there is no chance of that happening.

I'll give you this link as it helped me very much. I never really paid much attention to "mirror lock" and after this morning results with my cheap gear, I am more than pleased. Is this getting crips enough ... as I don't think I will get much better than this :roll: LOL

I understand that perhaps this could of been better under exposed, however ... I just wanted to share my results using the tips at the following link:
10 Tips to Get Razor Sharp Images
http://www.the-dslr-photographer.com/20 ... rp-images/

I understand this is not a photography forum, so therefor will refrain from further rambling. I did check out the forum Gallery and can see you know your stuff very well as too Grev1. I had no idea you ran competitions, however I struggle with filling out forms and can never work out how to enter such things ... :roll: LOL ... Such is my capacity with too many words and lines ... yet I seem to splatter them about myself.

I just goggled my camera to find where the Mirror Lock setting was ... seems to really help imo ... You and the others take care now.
I'll probably come back in the months ahead like I did last time.

Peace you you & yours as well as the rest of the gang.
Currently I am struggling to get off these damn anti depressants...wish me luck. :wink:
Attachments
Large.jpg
Canon 550D 135mm Auto-Promura (old fixed film lens) with 1st part or a 3 ring extension macro Tube from eBay. 1st time using Mirror Lock feature for extra sharpness. Info in link above.
Davekyn
Head Gardener

Postby Davekyn » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:14 pm

Found another Link that you might find useful ... here are some more hand held shots:
The advice seems to make a huge difference ... although though don't talk about mirror lock. I did find it interesting to calculate my cameras crop size on to of the shutter speed I normally chose in relation to the lens focal length ... I was just choosing 1/50 as my minimum handheld range, but seeing as my camera has a drop sensor equivalent to 1.6 times ... I just multiply the lens focal length by 1.6 now for my base hand held shots ... of course I will add more shutter speed if its windy and for action shots, but since changing from the old rule of thumb and calculating my sensors crop size into the equation; my shots look much better. So that information combined with the use of mirror lock ... has me lens's performing much better ... Once again ... I am glad you hit on crispy shots: No doubt I could further improve by going out in the better part of the day to get optimal lighting conditions. Perhaps a reflector will also bring me close to the results of a more expensive lens.
Hope the links are useful to you.

Link:
http://www.apogeephoto.com/july2010/bsharp72010.shtml
Attachments
3.jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg
Davekyn
Head Gardener

Postby abwal » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:05 pm

Did a check of some camera gear I have and came up with a wide angle and a macro. I also used AE-DEP setting to increase depth of focus. Suggested best times for outdoor shots are the two hours following sunrise and the two hours prior to sunset. Will look at the sites you mentioned above.

Have a great Christmas and try to not fill your memory card with shots :lol: :lol:

Petunia

Pentis
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:07 am

It's nice to finally see some life in the gallery forum again. Abwal seemed to be posting on his own there for a while .
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:19 am

I understand this is not a photography forum, so therefor will refrain from further rambling. I did check out the forum Gallery and can see you know your stuff very well as too Grev1. I had no idea you ran competitions, however I struggle with filling out forms and can never work out how to enter such things .

It doesn't hurt to have a bit of discussion on technique, Dave. It probably helps those of us who tend to point and shoot to get out the manual every so often. I usually tend to forget all about the camera until I decide to take a shot of something, then head out into the garden (without the reading glasses to be able to see what the flashing warning symbol is telling me) and then grumble to myself about how average my shots are.

The comps are easy to enter. If you need any help, just yell out - there's usually someone around who will be able to help you out, and if all else fails, message Ian. I don't think I'd be alone in wishing that our active forum members won them more often. I know in my case it's a matter of out of sight, out of mind - I often intend to enter, but because that gallery is now separate from the forums, I forget all about it until the closimg date has been and gone.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby abwal » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:49 am

' Abwal seemed to be posting on his own there for a while .' Getting very close to my limit, too. Hence the collages rather than individual shots. Shame SkyDrive didn't work. I don't like Photobucket as it is wide open and quite a few of my photos were ' borrowed' by commercial sites. Individuals are fine, but businesses could, at least, ask.
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Next

Return to Garden Gallery