Sweet potato Kumra

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Luzy, jack, Sam

Sweet potato Kumra

Postby myzeke » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:28 pm

Can someone tell me the growing requirements to grow sweet potatos. I know it grows on a vine and new varieties on a bush. I need to know climate requirements etc.
myzeke
Groundsperson

Postby Mister Wisteria » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:40 pm

Couldn't help myself, "SUGAR". :oops:
Slip Slop & Slap and Don't Forget Your Hat.

Anti Skin Cancer Foundation.
Mister Wisteria
Garden Wizard

Postby guzzigirl » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:47 pm

sweet potatoes are an underground tuber, grown a bit like potatoes.
“Although you’ll find our house a mess, come in, sit down, converse…
It doesn’t always look like this! Sometimes it’s even worse!”
guzzigirl
Garden Wizard

SWEET POTATO

Postby myzeke » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:59 pm

According to one internet site they they grow on a vine the tubers growing into the ground at intervals along the vine.However the site did not say what the climate area was.
myzeke
Groundsperson

Postby Luzy » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:01 pm

...but seem to need a warmer climate than Melbourne - unless I'm trying the wrong varieties??? The vine can get quite rampant and apparently should be lifted to stop it from rooting along the way.

I've only grown them successfully once, myzeke, and that was near Sydney. I think that I got really lucky as I just plonked a sprouted tuber in the ground and it grew quite well.
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby bubba louie » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:13 pm

I'm not sure where gooloogong is but so long as you're not moist temperate you should be fine.

Organic Vegetable Gardening by Annette McFarlane has good info on a range of vege including sweet potato. See if your library has a copy.
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby mitcho » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:23 pm

I have grown them here north of Brisbane in summer. They need a frost free growing period and warm days and nights. They need plenty of room as they do spread.

To grow them I put a piece in a pot and let it shoot and then broke the shoots of at the tuber and planted them laying them horizontally in the soil and away they go.

Avoid heavy applications of N as this will promote heavy leaf growth and keep the soil moist.

Hope that helps. :D
mitcho
Curator

Postby bubba louie » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:25 pm

They need plenty of room as they do spread.

======================
There are clumping varieties available.
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Sweet potatos

Postby myzeke » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:00 am

Thank you for your help .Gooloogong is in the Central West of NSW between Forbes and Cowra. We have up to 40deg. and slightly above in summer but we do have frosts in winter. I grow pumpkins tomatoes etc. without a problem just need to make sure the frosts are over or cover early starters.Definately not moist temperate Bubba Louie as we have had a drought for the past 6yrs. Hoping for rain this year.
myzeke
Groundsperson

Postby abwal » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:15 am

Plant as soon as the frosts are finished. They are not demanding with regard to soil, but a deep watering once a week is needed for good crops. They can be left to their own devices and will produce tubers. They grow readily from tubers and from cuttings. If you sprout one in a pot, you can then take cuttings from it and gain many more plants.
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Sweet potato

Postby myzeke » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:34 am

Thank you Abwal I shall give it ago after the frosts and perhaps when it rains.
myzeke
Groundsperson

Postby Longy » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:40 pm

To get a better crop, add lots of organic matter. Compost and/or manures. Also, when the runners start to run, they will take root along their length wherever a node touches the earth. If you lift the runners every few weeks to prevent this, leaving only the originally planted area to form roots, you'll get a better crop. You can also give the leaves a hit with the lawnmower or whippersnipper if they get too rampant. The leaves also make good fodder, so expect some harvesting by critters, (which is OK) and they are great in the compost.
Longy
Head Curator

Postby midgin » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:33 am

I have some growing as a type of ground cover... every so often I harvest heaps of lovely white sweet potatoes. Occasionally I thin the plant... it can't really escape where I have it. Mine gets morning sun only.... it does have a lot of leaf mulch and it must be happy as it does produce well.
"In grief, the world looks poor and empty. In depression, the person feels poor and empty".
S Freud
midgin
Garden Wizard

Postby bubba louie » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:47 pm

The new shoots are used as a vege as well.
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby Patricia » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:26 pm

Myzeke, I think your climate will do fine for the sweet potatoes...I have had them growing for years & they do well..I rather like the look of the vine & have let it wander wherever... in an area that is a little neglected...at the moment they are now starting to grow out onto the gravel drive...so maybe I need to thin them back a little!!!
Tai Chi - Mind, body and spirit are all exercised simultaneously. The continuous flowing movements of Tai Chi are based on the principle that running water never stagnates. The gentle movements relax your muscles while strengthening your body and mind.
Patricia
Gardening Sage

Postby bubba louie » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:47 pm

Patricia wrote:Myzeke, I think your climate will do fine for the sweet potatoes...I have had them growing for years & they do well..I rather like the look of the vine & have let it wander wherever... in an area that is a little neglected...at the moment they are now starting to grow out onto the gravel drive...so maybe I need to thin them back a little!!!

Pre drought there was a lovely cottage garden up the road that had QLD Blue pumpkins rambling all down the side of the house and even on the edge of the driveway, intertwinned with nasturtiums.
It looked great with these big pumpkins sitting on the edge of the drive. Very rustic.
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Return to Fruit and Produce