Apple Cucumbers - when to harvest?

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, Luzy, jack

Apple Cucumbers - when to harvest?

Postby Delilah » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:22 pm

Hi

Does anyone have experience with Apple Cucumbers? The seed packet says to pick them when they reach "apple size", and the photo is of oval yellow fruit.

We have our first one - it's already about 1.5 times the size of an apple, but it's green and hard. Should I wait for it to turn yellow, or how should this go?!

----------------------------------------------------
Who's Ya Doggy? Lost & Found Dogs in Australia & New Zealand: http://www.whosyadoggy.com/australianew ... hp?ads=all
Delilah
Head Gardener

Re: Apple Cucumbers - when to harvest?

Postby Phil Hansen » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:42 pm

You really should wait until they're yellow for full flavour development. The size of an apple? how long is a piece of string? :-?
PHIL HANSEN

Dyslexics are teople poo
Phil Hansen
Curator

Postby Coustralee » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:17 pm

compare them to the ones in the fruit shop.. actually i cant get mine as big, they must be pumping their's up with something. Try about the size of the palm of your hand.
Coustralee
Head Gardener

Postby Longy » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:05 am

I like to pick cucumbers when they are a bit smaller and underdeveloped. They're more tender and the seeds aren't as firm.
Longy
Head Curator

Postby Delilah » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:31 am

Coustralee wrote:...Try about the size of the palm of your hand.

This momma is already the size of my entire hand! It's totally green though - light green with some dark green spots. There's not a trace of yellow yet.

I've never seen one in a supermarket, or anywhere, before ... I'm a complete apple cuc newbie!

Who's Ya Doggy? Lost & Found Dogs in Australia & New Zealand: http://www.whosyadoggy.com/australianew ... hp?ads=all
Delilah
Head Gardener

Postby Kieran F » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:26 pm

i have some experience, generally you pick them once they start to yellow, or just generally whenever i feel like it, they can get quite big before they start to go bad, you will get plenty of cuc's to experiment with, just make sure its before the ridges around it are too prominent (by then it would be bitter, and seedy) i usually leave one or two to fully mature for seeds
Maker of stupid posts.
Kieran F
Head Curator

Postby Phil Hansen » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:36 pm

Yeah, too long makes for a bitter cucumber - too early makes for a mistaken cucumber. Eat one ane see what happens dude.
If you die of curcubit poisoning, you will know when to harvest next year!
PHIL HANSEN

Dyslexics are teople poo
Phil Hansen
Curator

Postby Coustralee » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:39 pm

There's a chance that its just a green apple cucumber, maybe a richmond green.

Usually the crystal apple is white - altho i have a packet with yellow ones on the cover.. theres the yellow one, and theres the richmond green which is a whitey green kind of colour.

I was picking them undersized previously, til i found one hiding that i'd missed, so i started to let them go a bit longer.
Coustralee
Head Gardener

Postby Delilah » Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:13 am

Coustralee wrote:There's ...the richmond green which is a whitey green kind of colour.

Yes, it's a whitey-green. Kind of mottled/textured, with a few darker spots. (I am even wondering whether it might be a melon, and I just ID'ed the original shoot wrongly.)

"Curcubit poisoning"?!? Sounds like somehting I should know about...!? :shock:

Delilah
Head Gardener

Return to Fruit and Produce