Chive pests

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Luzy, jack, Sam

Chive pests

Postby Di » Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:14 pm

I have some tiny black bugs on my chives. Could they be aphids? They mostly appear around the base of the plant.
Di
Groundsperson

Postby Ann » Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:00 pm

I thought the onion family was the only one not prone to bugs, LOL :D :D
I'm a bit like Bruce's spider; try, try, try again. Sonas, Ann
Ann
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:32 pm

Di, do they actually appear to be doing any harm?
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:38 pm

Me again! :D

It would appear unlikely to be aphids, as aphids supposedly dislike chives with a passion - so much so that chives are used as a companion plant to deter aphids and other insect pests.

I would tend to suggest that unless the bugs that you see are actually doing any visible damage that you simply sit back and observe.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby kitkat » Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:43 pm

Thrips is my vote...they are out and about in early Spring .
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby Pam » Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:50 pm

Found this on a Google search:

Thrips can be a significant problem on both species of chives

so it looks like they may well be the culprit. Perhaps you could try blasting them off with a strong(ish) jet from the hose?
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Di » Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:24 pm

Thanks ladies :) the bugs don't appear to be doing anything at the moment, but if I slide them off in a tissue, they just come back. If they are thrips, is there a safe way to get rid of them?
Di
Groundsperson

Postby Luzy » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:55 am

I'm afraid that aphids do like chives and oniony things - I get an attack every year, particularly in the tree onions. I've found that while the aphids make some of the leaves look ratty, they don't do any lasting damage. A blast of water and a finger-squish every so often seems to see them off (then they move onto something else!) Thrip are really tiny and hard to see - my mother swears that thrip will swarm to anything white, like flowers or clean sheets on the line. :lol:
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:40 am

I'm afraid that aphids do like chives and oniony things

:shock: But it MUST be true - I read it on the internet!!!!! And the page was even in colour:!: :lol:
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby kitkat » Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:06 pm

Thrips are tiny and black, and they infest lots of plants.I lost a lot a gladioli one year to a bad infestation.You can spray with soapy water to get rid of them ..though they do return ....there are also chemicals on the GE site that will do em in good and proper! :lol: They are in huge numbers on my plum trees right now ...and if I leave a white dish of water out it is soon covered in tiny black thrips ..they do love white.
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby kitkat » Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:15 pm

a thought....to catch thrips you can paint a board yellow and smear it with grease or honey ..and hang it near the infested palnts...it is soon covered with thrip and can be scraped off and re greased for the next lot...a good safe and effective way of keeping them down if not eradicating the darn things.
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby Luzy » Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:35 pm

Now, now Pam. I know it might be upsetting, but not everything on the internet, not even all of the colour pages, or the ones that have moving pictures, are all true. Then again, the page you looked at might have been from somewhere like the Mawson base - surely aphids couldn't survive there!!! :lol:
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:56 pm

Me neither!!! :lol:
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Marrion » Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:28 am

and I have just planted some roses in my herb bed where I thought they would be safe from aphids :-? Will definitely try the garlic too :)
Marrion

Postby Luzy » Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:44 am

I don't think that anything could ever be safe from aphids. :evil: I'm sure they have little bunkers that the breeders hide in and wait until the water spray/bug spray/squashing fingers have gone away and then get to work double time. :roll:
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Marrion » Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:29 pm

I believe that aphids have a 10 day cycle, so you need to spray often. I have found that the combination Chilli/Garlic /Onion spray that I use to deter the possums seems to do the same to the aphids (Y)
Marrion

Postby Shotgun Paul. » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:54 am

Marrion wrote:I believe that aphids have a 10 day cycle, so you need to spray often. I have found that the combination Chilli/Garlic /Onion spray that I use to deter the possums seems to do the same to the aphids (Y)

Morning Marrion,

I have tried the combination spray and it does work on my roses and I
do it fortnightly or when needed.

Regards,
Paul.
Shotgun Paul.
Head Curator

Postby Di » Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:19 pm

Do you have to make the chilli/garlic/onion spray? If it can be made, could you post the recipe please?
Di
Groundsperson

Postby Marrion » Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:45 pm

Here is the recipe, Di. Good luck with it. (yn)

Chop four large onions, four hot chillies and two garlic cloves.
Cover the lot with warm soapy water and leave to steep for 24 hours.
Strain off the liquid and add 5L of water to the concentrate. Stores well for up to three weeks in screw-top jar in a cool, dark spot ( I have actually kept it for longer).
This deters possums and is also great for aphids (Y) I sent it to a girlfriend in the UK and she says it works for the rabbits too. You must respray if it rains of course.

Is this the one you use, Paul? if not perhaps you could post yours too.
Marrion

Postby Di » Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:31 pm

Thanks Marrion, will give it a go on the weekend. :D
Di
Groundsperson

Next

Return to Fruit and Produce