brunfelsia as a hedge?

A Forum for discussion of non-native trees and shrubs. Topics related to trees and shrubs normally used to provide fruit should be posted under 'Fruit & Produce' Forum. (Where known, topics related to Australian native trees and shrubs should be posted in that Forum).

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, enrico, Shotgun Paul.

brunfelsia as a hedge?

Postby ollie boy » Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:10 pm

has anyone used this as a hedge before?
if it is possible i would like to take cuttings all the same size and create a 5-6ft high hedge.
does brunfelsia grow well from cuttings?
how far apart should i plant them if this is feasable?
i love this plant and love the smell....
thanks for any help
adam :)
ollie boy
Gardener

Re: brunfelsia as a hedge?

Postby bubba louie » Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:20 pm

You can do it but if you want a formal trimmed hedge you wont get much in the way of flowers.

Also be aware that the seed pods are deadly to dogs.
“Just living is not enough... One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.”
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby ollie boy » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:04 pm

wow never knew that!
i would only keep it formal-ish but when it got to the right height i would let it spill over and flower...
cheers mate :D
adam
ollie boy
Gardener

Postby brill » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:08 pm

Hi, For a hedge you need to get a plant that unpruned will grow about a mtr more than you want the hedge - this is so the pruning will bush it up. That means if you want a hedge about 5-6ft high you need a plant that will get about 8-9ft high. From my memory Brunsfelia doesn't get that high (well its not supposed to and I've never seen one that big). Also, agree pruning would mean no or very few flowers which would be a shame.
Brill
brill
Senior Curator

Postby bubba louie » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:34 pm

brill wrote:Hi, For a hedge you need to get a plant that unpruned will grow about a mtr more than you want the hedge - this is so the pruning will bush it up. That means if you want a hedge about 5-6ft high you need a plant that will get about 8-9ft high. From my memory Brunsfelia doesn't get that high (well its not supposed to and I've never seen one that big). Also, agree pruning would mean no or very few flowers which would be a shame.
Brill

You must have missed my thread on the "Dwarf Brunfelsia".

I planted two at my first house thinking they would stop at about 1 metre. We went back last weekend and they are now more like 2 1/2 metres tall.
After that I think anything's possible. :lol: :lol: :lol:
“Just living is not enough... One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.”
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby bubba louie » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:42 pm

I did a quick google and it seems Brunfelsis latifolia (the common one) will reach the required height.
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby brill » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:33 pm

Hi, I didn't miss the photo on the dwarf brunsfelsia. That's why I said they are not 'supposed to' get that big. And I have never seen on that big, but anything is possible. I couldn't believe the size of the dawrf Bruns. I grew them a couple of time and they were soooooo slow. I can't help but wonder if it was the true dwarf one. Where did you buy it?
Brill
brill
Senior Curator

Postby bubba louie » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:38 pm

brill wrote:Hi, I didn't miss the photo on the dwarf brunsfelsia. That's why I said they are not 'supposed to' get that big. And I have never seen on that big, but anything is possible. I couldn't believe the size of the dawrf Bruns. I grew them a couple of time and they were soooooo slow. I can't help but wonder if it was the true dwarf one. Where did you buy it?
Brill

I can't remember where it came from but it was definately the dwarf. The leaves are smaller and it doesn't flower as well as latifolia.
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Return to Trees & Shrubs