Wasps

A forum to post photos and descriptions of plants and garden pests for possible identification by other Forum members. Identification may not be possible but it never hurts to ask.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, Luzy, Bulbinella

Wasps

Postby Megamoo » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:04 pm

Hi
I have Tomato and Basil bushes and there are some wasps showing a lot of interest in them. They are black and yellow striped wasps, I think they are known as European wasps.
I can't see what they are doing but they are continually hovering around the bushes. Should I be concerned about what they are doing and is there anything I should do?
Thanks
Megamoo
Pruner

Re: Wasps

Postby littlegarden » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:34 pm

Wasps are great garden allies, as long as they're not being aggressive or trying to sting. They're probably looking for bad bugs to eat or lay their eggs on.
littlegarden
Senior Curator

Postby The Estate » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:02 pm

Megamoo wrote:Hi
I have Tomato and Basil bushes and there are some wasps showing a lot of interest in them. They are black and yellow striped wasps, I think they are known as European wasps.
I can't see what they are doing but they are continually hovering around the bushes. Should I be concerned about what they are doing and is there anything I should do?
Thanks

be careful they bloody hurt if your stung :twisted:
The Estate
Garden Wizard

Postby abwal » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:57 pm

Hornets will gather caterpillars to take to their nests. I don't know if there are wasps that do the same, though there are some that will lay eggs on or in caterpillars.
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Postby MacMaples » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:26 pm

Wasps are usually okay but if you've got European Wasps and if they are building a nest they need to be removed.
Our first encounter with one was on holidays in Tasmania more than twenty years ago when hubby was chased by an aggressive one. Years later we heard they'd spread to Canberra. So when I saw one while watering someone's garden I panicked and turned the hose on it until I thought it was drowned. A little later I noticed it was flying around again, quite calmly. I've since occasionally seen them in my own garden minding their own business. I've been told by someone who knows about these things that European Wasps are aggressive at certain times of year. I guess that explains it. So I leave them alone. But if they are nesting that is not a good thing. There's some more info here and a photo to help with identification.
http://www.tams.act.gov.au/live/environ ... weeds/bees
I have a feeling I've heard that there is another wasp that looks similar but a quick look didn't find anything.
MacMaples
Senior Curator

Postby arcticfox » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:42 pm

Oh I hate European wasps. I was stung on the neck as a child once and have never forgiven them since. There is a simple trap you can make to hang around your tomatoes http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Wasp-Trap. Only thing I've found is their tastes vary depending on the season. Sometimes they like meat, other times they like honey. Maybe squash a tomato and put it in there?
arcticfox
Pruner

Postby midgin » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:06 pm

I came across this link today (English newspaper)...it is very near unbelievable.
DO NOT watch it if you are squeamish. Giant hornets attack a honey bee hive .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDSf3Kshq1M
midgin
Garden Wizard

Postby MacMaples » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:07 pm

:shock: Who knew.
MacMaples
Senior Curator

Postby Honeyeaterg » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:39 am

It's a bit late to be replying to this but it's unlikely they'll be european wasps in Perth, they're almost certain to be paper wasps which are very common here. They're preying on small caterpillars and may also be having a drink of water off the plants. just ignore them and they will go about their business but they're pretty harmless and good for caterpillar control. If you really want to get rid of them you'll have to find the nest and destroy it at night when the wasps are all back in there and it will usually be up in a tree or under eaves and look like it's made out of paper but even if you destroy the nest you'll just get more because they are all around
Honeyeaterg
Gardener

Postby Megamoo » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:41 am

I'm happy to leave them alone if they are killing caterpillars and aren't aggressive to my kids. I know where their nests are, there are big stacks of wooden beams, salvaged building materials etc down the side of my block. A year ago there were lots of them so I ran around on top of the stacks with two cans of fly spray jumping around so they'd come out to find their nests and I killed as many as i could find. Obviously I didn't get them all, but the numbers went right down.
Thanks for the replies, :) I'm glad I can let them do their thing on my matos.
Megamoo
Pruner

Postby Honeyeaterg » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:22 am

Just make sure you keep the kids away from the wood pile megamoo, because the paperwasps will see it as a threat and that's the most likely time you'll get stung if you disturb the nest or if they think it's being threatened but when they're just meandering around the garden they are very calm.
Honeyeaterg
Gardener

Return to Plant & Pest ID