Deformed leaves on lilly pilly

A forum to post photos and descriptions of plants and garden pests for possible identification by other Forum members. Identification may not be possible but it never hurts to ask.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, Luzy, Bulbinella

Deformed leaves on lilly pilly

Postby justjoyful » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:38 pm

I have a few lilly pilly plants down the side, and whilst they seem to be growing well, they have deformed leaves (see photo).

Any idea what would be causing this? Is it harmful and I need to treat the plants? If so, how do I treat them?

Thanks,
Attachments
P7200252small.JPG
P7200252small.JPG (77.46 KiB) Viewed 10831 times
justjoyful
Propagator

Re: Deformed leaves on lilly pilly

Postby guzzigirl » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:02 pm

I believe this is damage caused by psyllids, a tiny sap sucking insect.
“Although you’ll find our house a mess, come in, sit down, converse…
It doesn’t always look like this! Sometimes it’s even worse!”
guzzigirl
Garden Wizard

Postby bubba louie » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:10 pm

guzzigirl wrote:I believe this is damage caused by psyllids, a tiny sap sucking insect.

Yep. Unsightly only not a health issue. If it really bothers you just prune it off otherwise confidor is the only treatment I know of. I think you spray something like every 6 weeks in summer but you'd need to check that. In the future buy resistant varieties.
“Just living is not enough... One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.”
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby brill » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:54 pm

Hi, Definately psyllids. The only way to remove the defornation is to prune. A systemic spray is what you need. Eg. Rogor, malathion, lebaycid. They are at their worst at the change of season from Winter-spring & summer-autumn. A systemic spray gets into the system of the plant so should protect the plant for a 2-3 months. If you look at the bottom of the leaf & bend it the insects will come out. Mum lays the egg in the leaf and as they grow the bumps get bigger. When they hatch they fly, but not very far, so will re-infest the plant. They prefer new growth to old but unless you have an experienced eye you don't see them until the leaf is older. What I would do is give the plant a prune to rid rid most of the lumpy leaves (this will help bush them up too), spray with a systemic spray then respray early spring and late summer. :)
Brill
brill
Senior Curator

Postby Luzy » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:12 pm

Thnaks for that info, Brill. So, Confidor won't do the trick?
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby The Estate » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:14 pm

I get them on mine from time to time, but never worry too much :roll: , should i :roll: :?:
The Estate
Garden Wizard

Postby guzzigirl » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:23 pm

The Estate wrote:I get them on mine from time to time, but never worry too much :roll: , should i :roll: :?:

no. it is only a cosmetic thing so if it doesn't bother you then don't worry about it.
“Although you’ll find our house a mess, come in, sit down, converse…
It doesn’t always look like this! Sometimes it’s even worse!”
guzzigirl
Garden Wizard

Postby bubba louie » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:01 pm

Luzy wrote:Thnaks for that info, Brill. So, Confidor won't do the trick?

It will. It's a systemic as well.
“Just living is not enough... One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.”
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:08 am

Personally I think it makes the plants look sickly, so I won't buy any that are not resistant. Justjoyful, I'm aware that they came with your house. Given that the plants are so pathetic anyway you could go either of two ways - nurse the plants back to health, and either live with the distorted leaves or spray each year, or simply ditch the plants and start again, with resistant varieties that won't get attacked.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby brill » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:23 am

Hi, If interested in resistent varieties try Syzygium Leumanii, Syzygium Cascade, Syzygium Little Gem, any other hybrid bred from Syz Leumanii or Syz Francisii, Syz Resilience and Syz paniculata. Stay away from any bred from Syz Australe
Brill
brill
Senior Curator

Postby bubba louie » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:57 am

brill wrote:Hi, If interested in resistent varieties try Syzygium Leumanii, Syzygium Cascade, Syzygium Little Gem, any other hybrid bred from Syz Leumanii or Syz Francisii, Syz Resilience and Syz paniculata. Stay away from any bred from Syz Australe
Brill

Acmena smithii is also a good one, or for a small shrub try Tiny Trev.
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby taffyman » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:21 pm

brill wrote:Hi, If interested in resistent varieties try Syzygium Leumanii, Syzygium Cascade, Syzygium Little Gem, any other hybrid bred from Syz Leumanii or Syz Francisii, Syz Resilience and Syz paniculata. Stay away from any bred from Syz Australe
Brill

That's interesting you should mention Syz Australe Brill. I have a Syz Australe 'Aussie Boomer' as a Bonsai and I've found it as tough as old boots. Never had a single deformed leaf on it, but I have had them on a couple of the other varieties I have here.

Aussie Boomer taken on 17th April this year.
Taffy
Have fun, life is way too short for anything else
taffyman
Garden Wizard

Postby brill » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:20 am

Hi, I think you've been lucky. I've known Aussie Boomer to get psyllids. A really good resistent one if you want a very low hedge or border is Acmena Allyns Magic. Virtually never needs pruning unless you want a defined shape such as a square and colourful new growth.
Brill
brill
Senior Curator

Return to Plant & Pest ID