Pink spots on roses.

This forum is specifically for queries and discussion related to the selection, care and enjoyment of roses.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, Bulbinella

Pink spots on roses.

Postby bundabergsangel » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:13 pm

Hi everyone, I'm new here. This is my first post...prepare yourself for lots more though because I have many questions!!!

I have 8 roses planted along the front of my house, and two on one end get dark pink spots on the roses. I've had a few people tell me it's just park of the rose, but I don't know if it is. It's on a pink rose...but same sopts are on the yellow rose next to it. This is why I'm not sure it's part of the rose. Take a look at the photos I'm including, and let me know what you think.

This one is just beginning:
ImageImage
Last edited by bundabergsangel on Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
**Bundabergsangel does not accept any responsibility for the stupid questions the mysterious bug in her keyboard sometimes asks. She knows exactly what she's talking about, but just can't get past that bug!** :lol:
bundabergsangel
Head Gardener

Re: Pink spots on roses.

Postby Abbi » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:17 pm

Welcome Bundabergsangel. :D

I'm rose illiterate, so can't help, but look forward to reading answers, coz. the same thing has happened to my white iceberg rose. :oops:
Abbi
Gardening Sage

Postby The Estate » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:33 pm

ditto, could be bruising maybe for a heavy downpour, or maybe just age :roll:
The Estate
Garden Wizard

Postby bundabergsangel » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:43 pm

The only thing I can think of would be age if it's not some sort of fungi thing...but it seems odd that it only affects these two, out of the eight.
**Bundabergsangel does not accept any responsibility for the stupid questions the mysterious bug in her keyboard sometimes asks. She knows exactly what she's talking about, but just can't get past that bug!** :lol:
bundabergsangel
Head Gardener

Postby Abbi » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:45 pm

Noticed the same thing on icebergs in town gardens the other day, but we haven't had rain at all this Month. :?
Abbi
Gardening Sage

Postby bubba louie » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:39 pm

Bundy must be full of gardeners. That's three on this forum so far.
“Just living is not enough... One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.”
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby orchid40 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:11 pm

I'm not from Bundy! LOl
I think the pink discoloration is age related, whether it's a seasonal thing or related to the individual rose I don't know. I've noticed a bit of pink on my white icebergs which wasn't there earlier in the year.
:)
Val
Gardening`s just another Obsessive Compulsive Disorder but I don`t want a cure !
orchid40
Gardening Sage

Postby Undergrounder » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:40 am

Pretty certain it'll be a type of Botrytis, see pictures below...

I haven't seen it in person but i'm always wary about it on my orchids. If you look up Botrytis Blight or Pink Botrytis or something on google there should be info on it. From memory it's a fungal infection so remove infected flowers, scrape up dead foliage/petals, blast it with an appropriate fungacide, repeat in two weeks, improve airflow, avoid getting flowers or foliage wet, etc. etc.

Edit: Here you go:

"Botrytis Blight
Fungus: Botrytis cinerea also known as Bud Blight or Flower Blight or Grey (Gray) Mold, and also when the cane is affected: Cane Canker. The first symptom you will probably notice is a characteristic set of pink spots on white and lighter colored blooms. Sometimes there is a pink ring that forms around these spots. These can also appear as yellow or brown flecks as they age. At times this can even look quite artistic. Other main symptoms will be balling of the buds or failure of the buds to open. The petals can then turn brown at the bottoms of the bud like shreds of a paper bag. In serious cases, infected leaves can appear as if they are rotting away. Sometimes there can be a grayish brown fuzzy growth on parts of the infected portions. Lower petals on these blooms dead and brown. A gray mold can also occur at the base of canes that are covered by leaves or mulch. The problem is most severe in humid and cool (60 degrees F) conditions. The disease tends to start high and run down the stem so that over time, more and more of the plant becomes infected. The blight survives winter as black lumps in the soil or on dead infected canes and buds that have not been pruned off.

Treatment: Cut out and destroy all infected plant parts. Also open up the plant so it has good ventilation and air circulation. Preventative spraying isn't very effective, but will work in some climates and cases. Chemical spraying is with copper hydroxide or lime sulpher early in the season"
Undergrounder
Head Gardener

Postby The Estate » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:54 am

thanks for the info, learn something new today :D
The Estate
Garden Wizard

Postby orchid40 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:38 am

The Estate wrote:thanks for the info, learn something new today :D

Me Too ! Thanks :)
Val
Gardening`s just another Obsessive Compulsive Disorder but I don`t want a cure !
orchid40
Gardening Sage

Postby bundabergsangel » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:53 am

Yes that does look a bit like it, doesn't it. The strange thing is, that yellow rose pictured in my photos is my Gold Bunny, which is the most resistant to blackspot out of all of my roses, but seems to have this 'botrytis' the worst. That's probably what it is. I shudder at the thought of stripping off the infected roses, I had to (not sure if it was the right thing to do by the books, but it sure worked) strip off all the leaves off a couple of my rose bushes because the blackspot had hold of it, now the roses too? :shock: (Just a side note, the rose bushes have come out fantastically since I done that).

I'm also not from Bundaberg. :) It's my horse's name, and Angel is my dog's name (combine the two and you get Bundabergsangel hehe).
bundabergsangel
Head Gardener

Return to Roses