Possums eating rose bushes

This forum is specifically for queries and discussion related to the selection, care and enjoyment of roses.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, Bulbinella

Possums eating rose bushes

Postby Frase » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:51 pm

Hello
I was hoping someone has got any remedies to keep possums off my Roses. The rose bushes are OK it is the thornless climbing rose that they seem to love.
Frase
Pruner

Re: Possums eating rose bushes

Postby Kieran F » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:55 pm

I have a solution.
but it requires a shotgun O,o
welcome to the forums.

but seriously.
i believe bunnings sells a bittering agent, makes plants and such repulsive to possums.
i dont know what it's name is so you should do some googling first.

wish i could be more help
Maker of stupid posts.
Kieran F
Head Curator

Postby orchid40 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:12 pm

I've heard that possums hate Charlie Carp. Roses love it, so try spraying with it . You'd have to re-spray if it rains though.
Good luck,
:)
Val
Gardening`s just another Obsessive Compulsive Disorder but I don`t want a cure !
orchid40
Gardening Sage

Postby Kerrie » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:09 pm

This is a little gross, but my Mum swears it keeps the possums off her magnolia buds.
She collects a scoop of dog droppings and hangs them in a mesh bag from the tree.

Kerrie
Kerrie
Curator

Postby Frase » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:46 am

thanks for all your advice.Wish I had joined a garden forum years ago!
Frase
Pruner

Postby midgin » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:06 am

Kerrie, I would rather have the possum. :D
"In grief, the world looks poor and empty. In depression, the person feels poor and empty".
S Freud
midgin
Garden Wizard

Postby Frase » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:27 am

I like the possums to. I want to keep them both. There are three that I know of and they each have there own personality.
Frase
Pruner

Postby rosie » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:12 am

I had trouble with one possum a month or so back. He would just eat all the buds off. :evil: I bought some 'poss-off' a bit pricey at about $17 but it seemed to make him go elsewhere.
rosie
Head Curator

Postby Mister Wisteria » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:58 am

I have always had troubles with Possum's, they follow me where ever I go. If I am that keen to keep a plant in one piece I put bird netting over it, its a pain in the butt but it works. :D I have also rolled up bird netting into a tube style thingo and put it on top of the fences to stop them chewing off the Rose Buds, they will not go along the fence unless they have firm footing and they don't like there little leggies getting caught up in the netting. :roll:
Slip Slop & Slap and Don't Forget Your Hat.

Anti Skin Cancer Foundation.
Mister Wisteria
Garden Wizard

Postby julie m » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:35 am

Frase
'Deter' is available at hardware stores. You mix it with water and spray on to foliage. Needs to be reapplied after rain.
I also put napthalene flakes, about enough to make a golf ball size lump, into the foot of a pair of panthyhose. I then tie a knot and hang it in or near the plant. To make it more weatherproof I put a take away container lid with a hole in the centre on top and tie off between the napthelene flakes. To make it more smelly you can also do the same with 'Dynamic Lifter'. The napthelene flakes lasts for quite a few months. Give it a squeeze every week or so as it tends to harden up and loosening it up makes it smell more again. Possums apparently are sensitive to strong smells.
julie m
Last edited by julie m on Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
julie m
Propagator

Postby TasV » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:52 pm

I can hire out my dog at very reasonable rates. He doesn't attack them... he's just a really good deterent. The possums stay in the trees where they are meant to be :)

Disclaimer... I take no rsponsibility for any roses he 'may' dig up in the process :lol: :lol: :lol:
"When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail." -- Abraham Maslow
TasV
Gardening Sage

Postby Billndee » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:40 pm

Yeh, a dog. We put the Jack Russell in the front garden every night. The idea is he is supposed to scare off the possums from coming over the fence. but I think he sleeps on the door mat all night, except last night. He barked at the moon?, an owl? all night. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: A possum would have been less trouble. :x :x :x I am sooo tired today. :-P :-P :-P
Maybe I will try some of the interesting and excellent ideas in this thread instead.
Good question you raised Frase. :)
Happy days!
Billndee
Senior Curator

Postby bubba louie » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:36 pm

A book I have makes all the usual suggestions but finishes with.....

A final approach to possums is to get a big glass of brandy and some Black Forest Cake.

Eat the cake, drink the brandy and forget about the damn possum! :lol:
“Just living is not enough... One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.”
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby Mister Wisteria » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:16 am

bubba louie wrote:A book I have makes all the usual suggestions but finishes with.....

A final approach to possums is to get a big glass of brandy and some Black Forest Cake.

Eat the cake, drink the brandy and forget about the damn possum! :lol:

Now that one I can live with, love Black Forest Cake. :lol: (and Brandy)
Slip Slop & Slap and Don't Forget Your Hat.

Anti Skin Cancer Foundation.
Mister Wisteria
Garden Wizard

Postby Comeilotei » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:36 am

Mmmmm...black forest cake..... =p~
Comeilotei
Plant a garden and you plant happiness!
Comeilotei
Garden Wizard

Postby froglover » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:18 am

Frase wrote:Hello
I was hoping someone has got any remedies to keep possums off my Roses. The rose bushes are OK it is the thornless climbing rose that they seem to love.

As someone else mentioned, possums don't like the smell of Charlie Carp but they also loathe blood and bone, a pinch of naphthalene flakes (in seriously stubborn cases only!), Poss-Off and other manufactured deterrents. We also have put up a couple of possum boxes on the trees for them to sleep in and they get left over fruit (not bananas) and vegies, but only occasionally. :D :D :D
froglover
Senior Curator

Postby carmel » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:04 am

Why not bananas? Aren't they good for possums? Our 'verandah possums' LOVE them. They're very fond of apples (but not granny smiths), carrots, kiwi fruit, pawpaw, mangos, but they don't like stone fruit or pineapple. They also love rosebuds. We brought home our first rose bush yesterday, with 2 buds on it. I meant to bring it inside at night but wasn't fast enough ... both buds were chomped off. At least they didn't damage the bush. I'll try the remedies mentioned. We love these possums, but I'd like to have roses too. :?
carmel
Apprentice

Postby Frase » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:03 am

Hello Carmel
With my possum problem I had reocated about ten possums in total. My roses started to thrive for a few months untill new possums took there place. I have now tried a different tactic and have got rubber snakes and placed them on the rose trellis. As long as i move these snakes around ocasionaly the possums will leave the roses alone and the kids are talking to me again because they can feed the possums. hope this helps
Frase
Pruner

Postby newtogreen » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:11 pm

Frase wrote:Hello Carmel
With my possum problem I had reocated about ten possums in total. My roses started to thrive for a few months untill new possums took there place. I have now tried a different tactic and have got rubber snakes and placed them on the rose trellis. As long as i move these snakes around ocasionaly the possums will leave the roses alone and the kids are talking to me again because they can feed the possums. hope this helps

i should definitely try that. we tried using rubber snakes a while back but found them ineffective after some time. we didn't think to move them every so often...duh! Image
newtogreen
Cultivator

Return to Roses