Vietnamese Community Bonsai Exhibition

A forum dedicated to bonsai, the art of growing dwarfed, ornamentally shaped trees or shrubs in small shallow containers.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, taffyman, DrDuncs

Vietnamese Community Bonsai Exhibition

Postby lmrk » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:11 pm

Happy New Year to all of you bonsai fanatics!! :D

I've been away for a while and it's great to see to see this forum is still flourishing!

I attended the Vietnamese Community Bonsai exhibition which was held in September 2010.

Excuse the quality of the pictures. They were taken with an iPhone

All the trees were done by my friend and work colleague Phuong Nguyen. He learned bonsai from his mother.

Hope you enjoy the photos

Cheers

Leah
Does a watched bonsai ever grow?
lmrk
Curator

Re: Vietnamese Community Bonsai Exhibition

Postby In Bloom » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:41 pm

Hi Leah. What town/city does this exhibition take place in?

Paul
In Bloom
Gardener

Postby lmrk » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:03 pm

Hi Paul

The exhibition was held at the Vietnamese Australian Community Centre which is located in Sunshine, a suburb of Melbourne.
lmrk
Curator

Postby karyn » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:51 pm

I love the bamboo, 3rd from bottom. I've never seen it done with bamboo before.
karyn
Gardening Sage

Postby taffyman » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:49 pm

Hello Leah. Looooooong time no see! :shock: :lol: Welcome back girl.

Some nice trees in that display. The Vietnamese seem to have a style all of their own, but similar to the Chinese form of Penjing. When you say all the trees were done by your friend, do you mean the whole display or just the individual ones you photographed? Either way, it's good to see a nice display.

How are your trees going Leah. I guess they would have developed a lot over the last year or so that you've been away.
Taffy
Have fun, life is way too short for anything else
taffyman
Garden Wizard

Postby lmrk » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:04 am

Hi Taffy...........good to be back! :D

All the trees in the exhibition were done by my friend (I didn't take photos of all of the trees unfortunately). He's not a member of any bonsai club, nor has he had lesson other than what he has learned from his mum. He has a gorgeous umbrella tree bonsai on his desk as work, so will take a photo of that next week.

I love the Vietnamese form of Bonsai, it is as you say, more akin to the Penjing style.

As for my bonsai.......... :oops: :oops: :oops: well, except for the all the figs (including 6 small leafed figs I grew from seeds) the corky bark oak and a juniper, all my other bonsai's are dead and buried :cry: My balcony is too inhospitable for any other species unfortunately. The 2 figs you kindly sent me a couple of years ago are absolutely thriving.

I must confess that other than the small leafed figs, I haven't done much in the way of defoliating and wiring this year, so the other figs are growing a bit out of control, but that can be rectified.

Karyn, bamboo bonsai is very common with Vietnamese. There were some other bamboo at the exhibition, but didn't take any photos of them.

Cheers
Leah
lmrk
Curator

Return to Bonsai