Bonsai kits

A forum dedicated to bonsai, the art of growing dwarfed, ornamentally shaped trees or shrubs in small shallow containers.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, taffyman, DrDuncs

Bonsai kits

Postby GoldenWattle » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:03 pm

I was given a jacaranda bonsai kit a few Christmases ago now. :oops: Sadly, I haven't done anything with it. (sn) The kit contains seeds and some growing media, but I found the instructions hard to follow. In essence, it's gone into the too hard basket and it's been there for a few years now. :roll: Has anyone raised bonsai from seed using one of these kits? :-? Does anyone have any wisdom to pass down?

GoldenWattle (#)
GoldenWattle
Gardening Sage

Re: Bonsai kits

Postby Pam » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:48 pm

I'd give jacaranda a miss for a start, because it has a tendency when cut to shoot straight upward. It's also never going to produce a decent-looking plant when kept in that size of pot.

I'd also give seeds a miss, unless it's a plant that you can't get any other way, and even then I'd raise them as 'regular' plants first. The reason for this is that you're never going to get a resonable trunk on any plant that is raised in that small a container.

By far the best way to achieve a reasonable-looking tree in a short time, especially for a beginner, is to look for an established plant in say, a 15cm pot that has the basic foundations of a good looking trunk already there. If you've any experience with air layering, you could also find a part of a larger tree that can be removed by layering.

Take a look through the how-to-guides posted by Taffy and others. They're very easy to understand and cover some material you're not likely to find in books.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Waterlilly » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:56 am

A somewhat belated reply - we have been away.
Totally agree with Pam - Jacaranda is not a good specimen. Was given a Jacaranda bonsai some 15 years ago which was already close to thirty years years old and I have persevered with it but never achieved any flowering. Only that it belonged to a very old friend would have given it away - never ever looks like a good bonsai specimen.
If anyone has any ideas to encourage flowering - would love to hear - I do have a sentimental attachment to the wretched thing...
Waterlilly
Head Gardener

Postby Pam » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:18 am

Have you tried potash Waterlily?
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Waterlilly » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:21 pm

No - will certainly give it a go......thanks Pam
Waterlilly
Head Gardener

Postby taffyman » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:34 pm

How did I miss this topic?? :shock:

GW, Jacaranda - and others with similar compound leaves (ie: Poinciana etc) are very difficult to make into even half decent Bonsai. The reason is because the leaves aren't on the end of a branch as such - the 'branch' is the stalk of the leaf. In winter, all you end up with is a bare stick (everything falls off).

I have seen photos of Jacaranda as Bonsai, but they are usually very large and in large pots. Even then, there is minimal foliage on them. Just a few leaves 'mimic' a full canopy.

Even so, those small pots that come with the 'kit' would be pretty useless for a Jacaranda. What Pam said is excellent advice.

I'm not sure where you're located GW, but there are far more suitable species that you could consider - like Trident Maple, Ficus species, Hawthorn - even some of the native Lilli-Pilli's are all excellent for someone that would like a small 'starter' tree.

Edit: Forgot to mention - It's quite possible those seeds you have GW are no longer viable. Who knows how long ago they were originally collected before the kit was purchased for you.
Taffy
Have fun, life is way too short for anything else
taffyman
Garden Wizard

Postby GoldenWattle » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:24 pm

taffyman wrote:Edit: Forgot to mention - It's quite possible those seeds you have GW are no longer viable. Who knows how long ago they were originally collected before the kit was purchased for you.

Thanks Taffyman - the kit was bought for me a few years ago now. At the time, my wife bought it for me, we were living in a unit and I didn't have the space I do now. I have a friend who is crazy about bonsai, but he just hasn't sold me on them. Last summer, I tried to convert a gum tree seedling into a bonsai, but it didn't survive. I have a River Red Gum in a very large pot (about 90cm) and I was considering getting my friend to help me turn it into a bonsai, but I'm not sure if I'll go through with it. I think of bonsai as requiring too much care...

Cheers,
GoldenWattle (#)
GoldenWattle
Gardening Sage

Postby MinusZero » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:33 pm

I have tried two kits, one Jacaranda and another which i can't remember the name of. The Jacaranda started ok and had many shoots, but they didnt last long before dying. The other kit never even sprouted. I would like to start a Bonsai again, but i wont be doing it from a kit.
"It's So Fluffy!"
MinusZero
Weeder

Return to Bonsai