Trident Maple Pheonix Grafted

A forum dedicated to bonsai, the art of growing dwarfed, ornamentally shaped trees or shrubs in small shallow containers.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, taffyman, DrDuncs

Trident Maple Pheonix Grafted

Postby alpinebonsart » Sun May 02, 2010 7:20 pm

This has been in the pipeline for quite some time .I actually saw a method of lacing seedlings to a wire frame .Me being me thought i was a task and a half to do it that particular way so i decided to use the Pheonix graft method . I had a magic crop of Trident seedlings about 2000 of them for this very purpose along with some plaited , braided and twisted trunks which are progressing really well .

Starting with the trunk i carved some rough grooves into it then carved a nice hollow from the base to the top where i split it into a fork .When veneered together it should represent a Maple that has been hit by lightning .
100_5176.jpg
This is the seedling and red box stump used for the project

100_5180.jpg
The stump showing the hollowed section and the grooves used for keeping the whips in a reasonable spiral pattern

100_5183.jpg
First i began with the larger whips 6-8mm and stapled each base with a staple gun .I stapled over the trunks with the galvanized staples so minimal damage if any would be done , then added smaller whips with staples in between the gaps of the larger trunks .. The leaves were left on the maples to make them hold together rather than defoliating and having sticks falling all over themselves . With the seedlings attached i wrapped the roots and the base area with soft wire to support them .

This is when the leaves were removed as i spiral wrapped the combined seedling all the way to the apex .A quick wrap over the entire trunk with wire to firmly hold it all together .Using grafting tape i then wound the whole trunk firmly ,removing the unwanted wire as i progressed .About 5m of grafting tape was used to form a solid jacket for the entire length of the stump .
Last edited by alpinebonsart on Sun May 02, 2010 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
alpinebonsart
Curator

Re: Trident Maple Pheonix Grafted

Postby alpinebonsart » Sun May 02, 2010 7:27 pm

100_5186.jpg
Wrapped up in all its glory
100_5187.jpg
The base sitting on a 250mm plastic bucket lid

All up start to finish in 2 hours , mind you i haven't potted it yet it will soak overnight in seasol because the light has faded .Cheers Alpinebonsart
alpinebonsart
Curator

Postby alpinebonsart » Mon May 03, 2010 5:17 pm

This is the finished trainer ,
100_5213.jpg
Front
100_5215.jpg
Rear
while it looks a mess the result will speak for itself. I undressed it to apply the pressure to create the movement onto the trunk where it was carved and to finish the apex off as a small tree minus ramification .Look out when spring hit this thing will fly .Cheers Alpine
alpinebonsart
Curator

Postby DrDuncs » Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:02 pm

8) Very creative. I look forward to seeing it as it develops.
Caution: Learner Green Thumb - Plant Survival Not Guaranteed
DrDuncs
Curator

Return to Bonsai