California redwoods - Sequoia Sempervirens

A forum dedicated to bonsai, the art of growing dwarfed, ornamentally shaped trees or shrubs in small shallow containers.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, taffyman, DrDuncs

California redwoods - Sequoia Sempervirens

Postby alpinebonsart » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:18 am

These were purchased from a wholesaler back in 08 , they were field grown and around 1.8m high . Hand picked from the paddock for there natural appeal .
100_0541.jpg
These are the pics of the trees after i hacked them back to around 800mm and allowed them to sprout .The single trunk had the branches retained and held down with fishing line hoping to style the tree in this fashion . In 2009 i decided to remove them and go with the new growth starting from scratch using my unconventional clothes pegs method .The tripple trunk was stripped of all it foliage and as the new shoot emerged spring peg were employed to hold the shoots and direct them into the desired positions .
100_0539.jpg
As the shoots allongated over time more pegs were added to prevent the shoots from growing vertically . After 12 months the pegs were removed , however during this period they were continually adjusted to prevent compression marks on the soft bark
alpinebonsart
Curator

Re: California redwoods - Sequoia Sempervirens

Postby alpinebonsart » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:32 am

These are the pics after the first styling and wiring .About 50%of the foliage was removed and each new shoot was trimmed back hard to start the process of ramification of the branches .
100_5067.jpg
100_5068.jpg
Quite happy with the result of the tripple tree , now it needs a new home in a more suitable container
100_5070.jpg
The informal upright is very impressive for such a short period ,i will allow the lower branches to elongate about 30% more then maintain them by clip and grow to improve the ramification .Cheers and happy Bonsai . Alpine
alpinebonsart
Curator

Postby taffyman » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:27 pm

Good job Alpine. The single trunk one is going to turn into a very nice tree, and when the foliage on both of them fill out, you're going to have a couple of nice trees on your hands. (Y) (Y)
Taffy
Have fun, life is way too short for anything else
taffyman
Garden Wizard

Postby dolicus » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:45 pm

You have done well with the Sequoia's.
Love the informal upright it looks good now love to see it in 5 years time?
dolicus
Curator

Postby alpinebonsart » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:27 am

taffyman wrote:Good job Alpine. The single trunk one is going to turn into a very nice tree, and when the foliage on both of them fill out, you're going to have a couple of nice trees on your hands. (Y) (Y)

Thanks taffyman now the hard work starts as they sky rocket :lol: when trimmed and with 3 dozen smaller trainer i will have my work cut out .I have put a few in the ground and have numerous multi groups planted in small pots trying to slow them down , i will be doing a large forest with them on 1 of my slabs which will take place after i've tidy up the other several hundred trainers , finished the winter benches . This is when i need Daylight savings to get the tasks done . Cheers
alpinebonsart
Curator

Postby alpinebonsart » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:32 am

dolicus wrote:You have done well with the Sequoia's.
Love the informal upright it looks good now love to see it in 5 years time?

Hi dolicus , i rather pleased with the initial result , the informal upright will be a big bold tree in 5 years if i can stay on top of the growth . Cheers
alpinebonsart
Curator

Return to Bonsai