Redwood from the Ashes

A forum dedicated to bonsai, the art of growing dwarfed, ornamentally shaped trees or shrubs in small shallow containers.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, taffyman, DrDuncs

Redwood from the Ashes

Postby alpinebonsart » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:00 am

This is a Coast Redwood collected from the ashes of the Beechworth fires back in 2008 . I estimate the tree would have been around 4 m high before the fires . The thick bark on the trunk only saved the base , which was enough to work my magic on .
100_0462.jpg
Redwoods sucker up very well , sometimes too well .This particular 1 had around 10 little trunks sprouting , however the thick foliage that occurs on these tree was the deciding factor to reduce it to a twin trunk clump style retaining the stump to incorporate it into the finished style
100_5065.jpg
. Some of the softer shoot have yet to be placed , spring pegs will be attached until they are firm enough to wire .All in all another good looking trainer .
100_5066.jpg
I will allow it to settle before carving and potting up over the coming weeks . Cheers Alpinebonsart
alpinebonsart
Curator

Re: Redwood from the Ashes

Postby taffyman » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:22 pm

It sure is a good piece of material to work on Alpine. Should look good with that centre trunk carved out.
Taffy
Have fun, life is way too short for anything else
taffyman
Garden Wizard

Re: Redwood from the Ashes

Postby alpinebonsart » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:15 am

taffyman wrote:It sure is a good piece of material to work on Alpine. Should look good with that centre trunk carved out.

Hi taffyman , good looking for sure its a pity the other 2 disappeared they had some very unusual features on the bases . There is some type of borer in the trunk which i have not been able to find so carving may expose it . I intend to go out and see if any others remain hidden amoungst the burnt out remains of the plots . Cheers
alpinebonsart
Curator

Return to Bonsai