JBP layered in 3 months

A forum dedicated to bonsai, the art of growing dwarfed, ornamentally shaped trees or shrubs in small shallow containers.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, taffyman, DrDuncs

JBP layered in 3 months

Postby alpinebonsart » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:27 pm

This is my first attempt at layering a pine .This Japanese black pine was purchased from K Mart mid December 09 and the layer was set within days of bringing it home .
100_4723.jpg
The tree with the layer attached
The simple ring bark method was used as per deciduous trees , i did however use a split pot with numerous drain holes in the bottom and the mix was the same as the plant was potted up when purchased with the addition of 6mm rough river quarts/sharps .This was added to assist drainage and open up the soil for aeration .

With the ring bark cut i added a few flaps by inserting the knife blade under the bark and twisting the blade , then using Yates plant cutting compound {hormone powder} i made a paste and pushed it up under each flap and around the top cut .No other material was used to hold the flaps apart .With the pot in position i placed a small amount of spagnum moss in the bottom to prevent the soil from being washed out through the bottom then filled with the soil mix .The layer was first watered with a 1/2 strength solution of seasol power feed {green bottle} then watered daily from then until the layer was severed .
100_4724.jpg
The layer severed with the root ball shown
100_4726.jpg
Potted next to its host

The tree was positioned under a shade sail and received only 2 hours of full midday sun
alpinebonsart
Curator

Re: JBP layered in 3 months

Postby alpinebonsart » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:35 pm

I was so impressed with the ease of this layer that i have place another 4 on the original tree . I hope to layer off 2 single trunks a twin trunk and a tripple trunk
100_4727.jpg
THE TYPICAL RING BARK
100_4730.jpg
THE ORIGINAL TRUNK WITH 4 MORE LAYERS
My research tells me it may take 6 months for the Autumn layers to strike roots due to the winter dormant period .

This method was also used the same day on an Acer Campestre {field maple} , no roots are present which i find amazing .Who would have thought a Pine would layer quicker than a Maple .Cheers
alpinebonsart
Curator

Postby taffyman » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:17 pm

Alpine, that's an amazingly short time for a Black Pine to set roots. Reckon you must have hit it at exactly the optimum time. (Y) (Y)

I like your idea of making a paste from the hormone power as well. Was that your own idea or did you get it from somewhere else. Either way, it's still a good idea - another one that I might try myself.
Taffy
Have fun, life is way too short for anything else
taffyman
Garden Wizard

Postby alpinebonsart » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:55 pm

Hi Taffyman , surprised as you are with the speed in which the layer sprouted roots , i did have the goss on layering pines from Deb.R.Ks bible , however everybody told me it was hit and miss . I was also told to use Gel not Powder ,damn it i have failed every time with gel so i gave it the flick quite a few years ago .

As for useing the powder in paste form i got sick and tired of the wind blowing it off the brush or my hands shaking to much , so to make it stick i simple dipped the brush in water then into the powder and as you paint it on it becomes a stiff paste that can be brushed under the bark flaps . By rolling the bristles up and under the flap and it holds them off the trunk .I use a fine 3-4 mm artists brush and it works a treat .Bugger {not patented yet} .Cheers
alpinebonsart
Curator

Return to Bonsai