Cotonester Horizontals

A forum dedicated to bonsai, the art of growing dwarfed, ornamentally shaped trees or shrubs in small shallow containers.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, taffyman, DrDuncs

Cotonester Horizontals

Postby alpinebonsart » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:57 am

This was dug from my garden 3 years ago , trying to locate the original pics .It was a twin trunk "stick in a pot " with little or no foliage .It has been in a large plastic pot until yesterday
100_4310.jpg
In the training pot for 3 years ,wire attached only days prior to transfering to a Bonsai pot
when i decided to slip it into a bonsai pot .
100_4322.jpg
100_4324.jpg

It is approx' 450mm high with a large knarly base of around 80mm x 110mm .Progress on the roots has been extremely slow so this has been power fed on tomato food and the results are very good . I dont think it will ever have a good Narabri to speak of but it looks impressive as it sits in its pot.Cheers
alpinebonsart
Curator

Re: Cotonester Horizontals

Postby taffyman » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:53 pm

Excellent results Alpine. That one should look quite stunning in a couple of years. It's got good trunk taper and appears to have good branch placement as well.
I wouldn't be worrying too much about the root system - maybe add a bit more soil so it looks as if that nice trunk taper just disappears into the ground.
Taffy
Have fun, life is way too short for anything else
taffyman
Garden Wizard

Postby alpinebonsart » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:48 pm

taffyman wrote:Excellent results Alpine. That one should look quite stunning in a couple of years. It's got good trunk taper and appears to have good branch placement as well.
I wouldn't be worrying too much about the root system - maybe add a bit more soil so it looks as if that nice trunk taper just disappears into the ground.

It is a very good result , i would like to remove some of the base and plant it into a shallow pot to enhance the trunk girth . It is actually sitting hard down in the pot at present , mighty ugly base underground and i don't dare carve it up to fit a smaller pot ,just yet. Cheers
alpinebonsart
Curator

Postby alpinebonsart » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:46 pm

This is the only pic of the plant when it was dug from the garden in Dec '07'
100_1694.jpg
.Cheers
alpinebonsart
Curator

Return to Bonsai