Multi layered Zelkova

A forum dedicated to bonsai, the art of growing dwarfed, ornamentally shaped trees or shrubs in small shallow containers.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, taffyman, DrDuncs

Multi layered Zelkova

Postby alpinebonsart » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:56 am

This is my multi layered Zelkova {Japanese Grey Bark Elm} that i collected last winter .It had suffered severe die back for numerous years and when dug up was found to be planted in water-logged clay . With only 3 side branches and a very poor excuse for an apex i decided to tripple layer the trunk and this is the progression .The layers were set after the initial leaf burst had hardened off .
100_4239.jpg

The base of the tree is around 90mm and stands around 1600mm high .
100_4241.jpg
The layers were set approx' 100mm below the main side branches and will have trunks from 40mm to 65mm when severed .
100_4240.jpg
They should make for some impressive informal upright or slanting style brooms .In most cases Zelkova's lend themselves to formal upright or broom style , these will have further layers taken from the apexes of 2 of the starters next sesson to produce a couple of broom style smaller trees.

Again plastic soft drink bottles cut down formed the tubes for the layers and wrapped in duct tape .Watering via a large syringe from the top without opening the layer makes it an easy task .Cheers
alpinebonsart
Curator

Re: Multi layered Zelkova

Postby abby » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:03 am

The layers are looking good - well done on this very interesting project :)
Image Abby
abby
Curator

Postby alpinebonsart » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:49 pm

Hi abby if its turns out to be a success there should be some very interesting trunk lines to style . I have never tried multi layering on a single trunk however with large side branches to feed each layer it should work , and being an Elm it has extraordinary growth for the container it is in .

If i can find a pic of the tree after digging i will post it up , tip pinching was a daily exercise for the first month just to contain the length of the shoots , i now see why Broom style is the most popular style for this species .Cheers Alpine
alpinebonsart
Curator

Postby alpinebonsart » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:57 am

This is a pic of the Zelkova after it was collected from my boundary line , for an Elm estimated at 15-20 years old it is basically a stick with a few side branches .It has suffered die back each year for the 12 years i have been here .
100_3534.jpg
Very little or no ramification was present when dug .I did trim the dead wood back last season , but the new growth died back again,hopefully this wont happen to the trainers or Bonsai .Cheers
alpinebonsart
Curator

Postby abby » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:29 pm

Wow! That is amazing - Looking forward to progress reports and seeing how it is doing :)
Image Abby
abby
Curator

Postby taffyman » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:38 pm

That's a good job Alpine. I've never thought of using soft drink bottles, and I reckon it's an excellent idea (Y)
Taffy
Have fun, life is way too short for anything else
taffyman
Garden Wizard

Postby alpinebonsart » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:49 pm

taffyman wrote:That's a good job Alpine. I've never thought of using soft drink bottles, and I reckon it's an excellent idea (Y)

Its extremely tough to cut the bottoms out with snips , a hole saw or large spade bit for drilling timber works a treat , just fill with water and freeze . You can secure them safely in a vice and drill without the risk of cut the "pinkies" off . I will need to use Bigger bottles for the bigger trunks on next years layers on the Maple currently layered .Cheers
alpinebonsart
Curator

Return to Bonsai