"Chop top" Maples progress

A forum dedicated to bonsai, the art of growing dwarfed, ornamentally shaped trees or shrubs in small shallow containers.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, taffyman, DrDuncs

"Chop top" Maples progress

Postby alpinebonsart » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:59 am

Hi once again to all Bonsai artists . These are 4 of the original 7 Chop Top Maples i started in winter of 2008 . Originally grown as landscape tree for 4-5 years , after a borer infestation i decided to turn them into Bonsai . With all but the 1 with the stakes and wire they were void of all shoots and branches . I staked and wired the stump that had the branch left for use as a central leader .Wire was only used on the leaders and branches during 2 months of the growing season,pegs were used the hold the branches and shoots during development . These Trainers have had seperate methods used to show the difference between 6 total leaf defoliations over the past few months as to the 3 on the lesser developed canopies . Proof that leaf removal done correctly does have its advantages .

Mind you i have only tried 6 leaf removals in the tub not in bonsai pots where growth is much slower, i have done 4 in bonsai pots with no adverse effect on the plant
100_0368.jpg
This pic was taken on the 16-10-2008 after the first shoot reduction and leaf removal . yes the pegs were the main form of training of the branches and shoots . No broken branches or shoots occured except when a hail storm hit hence the marks on the trunks and branches .
100_2842.jpg
Center pots contain the larger more successful method of 6 complete leaf removals as apposed to 4
100_2844.jpg
A very good result from 1 growing season

I will pot the 2 best specimens into Bonsai pots over Winter and leave the lesser 2 in training for another season . All the trees were the same age from seed , grown in the ground in the same terrace and growing conditions and root pruning prior to potting . The trunk thickness varies from 30mm to 55mm obviously the soil conditions and moisture content was different when in the ground . There is 3 out of the 7 chop tops that have a pale yellow tinge to the leaves which i have not been able to rectify , they have all had the same potting mix , rotating fertilizers and water regeme . All in all a good result .Cheers alpine
alpinebonsart
Curator

Re: "Chop top" Maples progress

Postby alpinebonsart » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:27 am

These are the pics from 2 of the Maples above , this is their 2nd growing season . The multiple defoliation has continued and each branchlet was continually trimmed to 1 set of leaves improving the overall ramafication .The roots will need a good work over as now they are in their second season so i should have a good selection to improve the Narebri .
100_5029.jpg
100_5037.jpg
Both trees are around 650mm high.Cheers Alpine
alpinebonsart
Curator

Postby Pam » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:56 am

It's interesting to see how the different shaped pots create such a different looking tree.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby alpinebonsart » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:59 pm

Pam wrote:It's interesting to see how the different shaped pots create such a different looking tree.

Hi Pam , it is amazing the extreme differences considering both trees are very similar in stature . At the time i potted them i only had 2 tray's/pots that i could fit the root base into . A repot is in order and a worthy pot or tray will be used for both trees .I have seriously considered making a large group planting with 5-9 other trainers utilizing these 2 and another chop top as the feature trees in the group .Weight would be the deciding factor as to proceed or not .Cheers Alpine
alpinebonsart
Curator

Postby taffyman » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:47 pm

Actually, I think it would be a shame to use these two in a group setting. They both have the potential to make great informal uprights. They've really developed well since the original photos were taken (Y) (Y)
Taffy
Have fun, life is way too short for anything else
taffyman
Garden Wizard

Postby alpinebonsart » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:39 am

Hi Taffyman , they have developed very well , the problem with too many trees is i dont appreciate the individual ones ,always wanting to change them .I think i will leave them as is :wink: and concentrate on the other lesser trees for a forest .Cheers Alpine
alpinebonsart
Curator

Return to Bonsai