Help Save my Agave's !!!

This is the general garden forum where you can search existing messages for answers to your questions or post a new message for others to reply to. Use the topic specific forums where appropriate.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, Luzy, jack

Help Save my Agave's !!!

Postby *Sarah* » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:52 am

Hi Everyone,
I'm a new member, & i really love this forum!! I am hoping there are some AGAVE experts out there that might be able to help me? My Friend has recently cleaned up her garden and has given me two of the most beautifully perfect agaves (attenuata) i have ever seen! HOWEVER, .....they have just been sliced off at the stem and i'm not sure if they will survive without roots. They are both really large and too beautiful to let wither away.
Is there anything i can do to ensure their survival?
So far i soaked the large stem bases in a bucket of water for about 48 hours then coated the base with some rooting gel and planted in a pot of premium potting mix along with a small sprinkling of SeaOrganic pelletts. Is there anything else i should do?? Any suggestions?
I am keeping them in the shade for now as Townsville sun might be a bit too harsh during this stage.
Thanks in Advance
*Sarah*
Lawn trimmer

Postby Damien » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:14 pm

Hey sarah... I LOVE THIS FORUM TOO. *gasps*

Anywho. I typed in Agaves into google images.. The images it gave me, looked like the plant(s) are succulents... like Aloe Vera. Perhaps im wrong? I havent struck a cutting of a succulent but i did get a small sample from my nan and stuck it in a pot. PHEW it took off! They dont need much water. They are desert plants.

Damien
"oh that says plant one metre apart... oh i see..."
Damien
Head Curator

Postby Pam » Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:09 am

Is there anything i can do to ensure their survival?

WEll you can't undo having sat them in a bucket of water for a couple of days, so simply ensure they have really good drainage from here-on out.

They really are VERY tough - the best thing you can do for them is neglect them.

I picked one up a while ago from the recycle centre at the tip that was simply a cut-off stem. I put it in a pot of well-draining mix, and it has never looked back.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby *Sarah* » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:28 am

My Agave's are dying!.... :(
The leaves are starting to look real shabby.
...But i won't give up yet!! i'll give them another couple of weeks to see if they can develope some roots on their own and then maybe they might bounce back.
Fingers-crossed.....

Thanks.
*Sarah*
Lawn trimmer

Postby Pam » Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:17 pm

Sarah, how much bare stem do they have - is there enough of it to cut them off above where they were sitting in water?
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Luzy » Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:54 pm

Would it be right to say that that kind of plant would do well to have the stem dry off (after cutting as Pam suggested) before even thinking about potting it? I only suggest that as many succulents 'drop' bits that sit on the ground before sending out roots. :? :?
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:08 pm

Sounds good to me Luzy! :)
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby *Sarah* » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:44 am

hi,
thanks guys. i can't tell where the water came up to initially. :? There isn't much length to both stems either, if i cut off much more they wont be able to sit up right in their pots.
Luzy, yeah you're right, and Pam. But what do you mean by
"succulents 'drop' bits that sit on the ground before sending out roots"

Also, do you think that once the large leaves have died off that they will reshoot?
thanks for your assistance.

P.S. How has only 24hrs or so in a bucket of water led to it dying completely? surely there's gotta be some hope?
*Sarah*
Lawn trimmer

Postby Pam » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:50 am

Sarah, because they're a succulent, allowing their bases to dry out a little as Luzy suggested would have been preferable to having them sit in water, but you can't undo that, SO what you need to look at now is the drainage that the plants are getting. If they're in a premium potting mix this has water crystals added - not good for a succulent. Also, are the bases of the pots raised at all, ie on pot feet or one of those wire pot movers with castors or similar? If not, then I think you'll find that the plants are not getting adequate drainage, and death is a certainty unless you do something about it.

If your plants don't have roots as yet you could fairly safely remove them from the pots and mix some sand or perlite or similar to the mix to increase the drainage.

In the short term, no, leaves will not regrow where they've fallen off, but at some stage in the future, babies may shoot from where they were attached.
Pam
Garden Wizard

re agave

Postby sunraysia1 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:54 pm

I would take them out of the soil and leave them to dry out I have enclosed a photo of some of mine they were young ones that were cut off the mother plants and none of these had roots they were left out for 3-4 days before planting in a well draining soil Image
"When everything is upside down,rest if you must but don't quit"
sunraysia1
Groundsperson

Postby Luzy » Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:24 pm

Looks great, Sunraysia - how old are those babies? They really are a beautiful looking plant. More questions: do they take a lot of care, and are those Cannas to the side?
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:14 pm

do they take a lot of care?

Luzy, they're planted at the side of the road in front of the railway station here and never get any attention whatsoever. They're absolutely thriving. I think the main thing you might need to worry about in your area would probably be frost.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby sunraysia1 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:08 pm

Yes they are canna's and the less care the better with agave and no they don't like frost or hot afternoon sun those ones were put in the ground about 16 months ago
"When everything is upside down,rest if you must but don't quit"
sunraysia1
Groundsperson

Postby Luzy » Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:15 pm

Frost :shock: :shock: . In Melbourne :shock: :shock: :shock: . Good point! :lol:

Actually, I am amazed at the different reactions to frost that I have had so far with my few succulents - one that I thought would be really tough (with mega spikes on the sides of each leaf) got hit the first year we were here and it's still got black bits on it, yet the jellybean sedum and the other whatever it is (both of which are in my mini-gardens) simply thawed and kept going.

Winter this year will be a re-education as we have gotten rid of two large trees (privet and pittosporum) - I guess that'll change out micro-climate. I feel a bit scared...
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Lotte » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:44 am

Whenever I grab some agaves, I literally cut them off from the parent plant, leaving a bit of stem. I then sit them in a glass of water for a few days (until I see roots beginning to appear), then I put them in potting mix and water reasonably well for a week or so. By then they are fairly established. Admittedly, they don't look fantastic immediately - this takes time and care.

So there - leaving them in the bucket of water did no harm.
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather. Not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Lotte
Groundsperson

Postby Pam » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:08 am

Lotte, you're right - if something works for you, why change it. HOWEVER whether you'd get away with this wouldd depend a LOT on your climate, I'd expect!
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Lotte » Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:30 pm

Very true Pam. Very true indeed.
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather. Not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Lotte
Groundsperson

Postby *Sarah* » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:04 pm

hi everyone,
just a quick update.........the Agaves are still really sick looking, but......they've stopped dying i think (if that makes sense). The lower older leaves are a mess, but the very top central couple of leaves appear to be powering on. They have a few white'ish patches (sunburn maybe?) but other than that, they don't look like they're dying (...Yet) :)
I'll keep you posted.
*Sarah*
Lawn trimmer

Postby Pam » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:28 pm

Sarah, I was told a number of years ago that if you have concerns for a plant, the new leaves are a good indicator of its health, and I have found it to be sound advice. Although your agaves have gone backwards to date, I think if you avoid the temptation to water them too often they'll come back as good as new.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Agave

Postby Tara » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:09 pm

I have an agave in a pot and naturally it is growing towards the sun. The only thing is it appears to be growing out of the pot, not up, and all the roots are begining to show above the soil.

The plant appears to be really loose, but when you move the stem it is very tight in the soil.

Should I take it out and repot it deeper?

I have also just removed alot of dead leaves around the base. Apart from that it is looking really healthy

Thanks
Tara.
Tara
Lawn trimmer

Return to Garden Forum