Advice on striking cuttings!

This is the general garden forum where you can search existing messages for answers to your questions or post a new message for others to reply to. Use the topic specific forums where appropriate.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Luzy, jack, Sam

Advice on striking cuttings!

Postby Gumtree » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:39 pm

Hello again!
I'm just wondering if anyone can give me any advice, on striking cuttings of Sheena's gold,& geisha girl.
I've tried a few times and never succeeded :roll:
and is there a time of the year that's better
thanks so much! :D
Gumtree
Propagator

Re: Advice on striking cuttings!

Postby abwal » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:38 pm

Right now is a perfect time. I use coarse sand (river sand) to strike cuttings. I also use hormone powder as I think it improves the strike rate considerably. ( It is readily available in garden departments and a lot of nurseries as " Rooting Powder" '" Cutting Gel" etc.)

I have tried tip cuttings and stem cuttings and both seem to work with duranta ( Sheena's Gold and Geisha Girl). Dip the stem in the hormone powder and use a stick ( a pencil is good) to make a hole in the sand for the cutting. Firm the sand around the cutting. I generally do a lot in each pot and move them into larger pots when they have reasonable root growth. Water in well, but from then on keep the sand just moist - never wet. How do you tell when they have good root growth? Pull one out and check it. That's the beauty of having plenty in each pot. :D

It is also possible to start duranta cuttings in a container of water. I prefer the sand method as I feel I get stronger root growth.
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Re: Advice on striking cuttings!

Postby Gumtree » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:25 pm

:D thank you that helps!
I'm going to try that very soon! and also a Jasmin vine.
So we'll see how it go's :P
Gumtree
Propagator

Return to Garden Forum