Shade loving plant help

This is the general garden forum where you can search existing messages for answers to your questions or post a new message for others to reply to. Use the topic specific forums where appropriate.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Luzy, jack, Sam

Shade loving plant help

Postby Di » Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:18 pm

I have a south facing house in Nowra, NSW that occasionally cops strong winds. I have a small garden area at the front entrance to the house which is mostly in shade. Can anyone please recommend some suitable plants for this area? I would prefer something low maintainence, bright and modern looking. Any ideas?
Di
Groundsperson

Postby Luzy » Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:25 pm

I'm certainly no expert and can only offer suggestions that have worked well so far in my own mainly shady areas.

What is powering perhaps the best at the moment is an old fashioned fuschia - I've tried three and two cut the grade (one with small leaves and small flowers and another with big leaves and big flowers - but no real help, sorry, as I don't know their names).

Another is a native pea vine with black and yellow flowers, which I'm sure I spotted in the GE catalogue I saw in the dentists the other day. Just checked in the on-line catalogue and it's called Black coral pea - mine is in shade and yucky soil/clay and has only been in since February, yet keeps threatening to climb up the house. Luckily, it's easy to train back to its wire tower :roll: I have yet to see it flower, though.

Don't forget some hardy shade-loving bulbs to let you know that spring's happening, and perhaps even some euphorbias - they seem to love it rough.

Each of my first suggestions cop wind that roars up the side of the house, though probably nowhere near what Nowra might get.

Good luck! :D
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Marrion » Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:36 pm

I am an Agapanthus fan, they are so tough and tolerate all conditions. I particularly love the bright blue ones, they look so gorgeous against the green foliage and my white painted house. GE have a good range of the dwarf ones that are now so popular, I recently purchased some of these for my perennial bed because the foliage is evergreen and looks nice throughout the winter (Y)
Marrion

Postby Suz » Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:34 pm

Clivias have always worked well in our garden - we have an area down the side of our house that is heavily shaded almost all year and our clivias have always looked gorgeous, and we dont give them any special treatment. Also growing in this garden are azaleas, geranium, fuschias, violets as ground cover (really pretty and very easy to grow - they seem to thrive on neglect) and some gingers (particularly a purple flowering variety, i dont know its name).

Hope this helps a little - all of these plants dont need much care. I dont know how they go in strong winds though, I think they're in a relatively sheltered area, although we occasionally get very strong winds from storms etc.
When your mind wanders, where does it go?
Suz
Pruner

Postby Ann » Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:08 pm

They take a while to flower but Hellebores do well in shade and are evergreen. Renga Renga lilies also love dry shade, but I am waiting for mine to flower. :cry:so does Acanthus mollis. I have just acquired some Climbing Hydrangea seed for my front. :D It's getting more sun now, but is in shade all morning.
I'm a bit like Bruce's spider; try, try, try again. Sonas, Ann
Ann
Garden Wizard

Postby Luzy » Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:17 pm

Hi Ann, forgive my ignorance but what are Renga Renga lillies? Dry shade, huh? They sound rather intersting :)
Luzy
Garden Wizard

mint

Postby jack » Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:46 pm

mint is one of the few herbs that like shade, so if its moist then maybe try a few flavours of mint, chocolate, peppermint or spearmint just to be different.
jack
Head Curator

Postby Marrion » Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:50 pm

The Renga Renga Lily is Anthropodium and it seems to thrive in dry shade, mine have flowered, Ann but I think the foliage is lovely even without the flowers. I find it mulitplies well without being invasive and is one of my favourite plants
Marrion

Postby Ann » Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:19 pm

Thanks, Marrion!! Mine is at the back behind a lavender which was there and does not flower. I have two, the back one is under the eaves and gets very little water, :D and they always look good. They grow readily from seed, :D that's how I got mine I think the snails snacked on the rest in Kwinana!! I have more shady places so I may divide later.
I'm a bit like Bruce's spider; try, try, try again. Sonas, Ann
Ann
Garden Wizard

Return to Garden Forum