Strelitzia Nicoli

This is the general garden forum where you can search existing messages for answers to your questions or post a new message for others to reply to. Use the topic specific forums where appropriate.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Luzy, jack, Sam

Strelitzia Nicoli

Postby DeeElle » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:21 am

We have several giant BOP in a pot which has cracked. We are about to move into a new house and only have a small yard. I was considering separating the tubers and placing one or more out the front of the house but have heard they can grow up to 30 feet. :shock: We only have about 3 metres from our house to the curb.

We are in Adelaide & perhaps they won't grow as large in our moderate temp :-? .

How do we keep it under control if we plant at least one as a specimen plant out the front, and how far away from the house should it be planted? Is it a good specimen plant?

I've heard that it needs 1/2 dose slow release fertilizer once a month until it gets to the desired height, and then full dose once a year to keep the growth to a minimum.

Cheers
DeeElle
Cultivator

Re: Strelitzia Nicoli

Postby Kerrie » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:07 pm

Hi Nicola,
I looked at planting these a few years back because the flowers are beautiful, but the nursery advised that the only way to control the growth would be to 'bonsai' them, to lift them every few years and crop back the roots to minimise the growth. I ended up choosing another plant instead. Sorry, I know that's not the answer you were looking for, but I don't know any way of controlling their growth once they are in the ground... they are a giant plant, the orange and purple common ones are the 'miniatures'.

Kerrie
Kerrie
Curator

Postby bubba louie » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:24 pm

I'm not a fan of them. They can end up looking very untidy.
“Just living is not enough... One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.”
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby The Mop » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:46 pm

30 feet isn’t likely in an urban setting with low rainfall.
The main consideration will be overhang of the roof gutter.
If it becomes a menace … the fronds are easy to trim.
The Mop
Head Gardener

Postby DeeElle » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:41 pm

thanks for the responses.

I am keen on planting them as they look lovely at the moment. Perhaps we will put them in the back yard where there is more room although I was hoping for a specimen plant for the front yard.
DeeElle
Cultivator

Postby Aggapanthus » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:32 pm

Gosh Kerrie

I am so glad that I read through this thread - I also grow Strelizia nicolai and what you are saying gave me some hope.

At the moment mine is growing on my fence side of the swimming pool and I am becoming worried since someone told me that Strelitzia has an aggressive root system. I love those blue and white flowers and the plants do double duty: apart from looking pretty they also soften up the fence between my neighbours and I.

My yard is a bit too small and the Strelitzia seemed like a good idea at the time - fast growing being the main consideration. Now it is big (about twice my own height and I am about 1.6 meters) and I think I will follow your advise to cut down the root system to keep it in check.

DeeElle - I am sorry to barge in like this but I think you should go ahead and plant them. They are beautiful.
Gardening is a lovely way to "waste" time
Aggapanthus
Gardener

Return to Garden Forum