Which plants for clay soil and low growing?

A forum for discussions and questions related to propagating and caring for Australian native plants.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack

Which plants for clay soil and low growing?

Postby DrDuncs » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:13 am

I would like to include some native plants in our garden. We have very heavy clay soil and I'd like plants that are under 1.5m tall. They will receive full sun for most of the day.

Any suggestions please?
Caution: Learner Green Thumb - Plant Survival Not Guaranteed
DrDuncs
Curator

Postby Luzy » Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:23 pm

Are you thinking shrubs or ????

The few natives that I have in our clay that do well in full sun are hardenbergia (ground cover or climber) and coreopsis (perennial). Our other natives are either taller than 1.5 metres or get a fair bit of shade.

(I do have a russelia that is absolutely thriving at the moment - it looks like it should be an Aussie native! :lol: )
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Modesty » Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:09 pm

most grevilleas are under that height and do most do pretty well in clay. Westringa goes well as a hedge, you could keep it trimmed to height, bottlebrush, and there is a nice weeping acacia. Plecantris and correa are also very hardy.

Modesty
Don't take a cutting from a plant that has taken over a vacant block just because it's free.
Modesty
Head Gardener

Leptospermum

Postby Glen8 » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:18 pm

Today I planted a Leptospermum "Pink Cascade" into my back yard clay.
Looks to be a lovely plant, about 1m tall by 2m or so. Might be worth a look.
Glen
Glen8
Pruner

Postby Longy » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:52 pm

Banksia robur, (swamp banksia). Prune after flowering to 2 m.
Melaleauca Quinquinervia,(Red flowering broadleafed paperbark). to 4m but loves a good pruning.
Longy
Head Curator

Postby bubba louie » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:59 am

Do Pendas grow down there? The Little Penda (Xanthostemon verticillatus) is lovely and I have it growing in clayish soil that's just been improved a little bit.
It may get slightly larger than 1.5 but you can trim it.
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby DrDuncs » Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:40 pm

Luzy wrote:Are you thinking shrubs or ????

Yeah, more than likely as I'm a big fan of shrubs in general. It would be great to get some native birds in the garden.
Caution: Learner Green Thumb - Plant Survival Not Guaranteed
DrDuncs
Curator

plants to google

Postby jack » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:05 pm

one tip with grevillea, as a rule they dont like wet feet or heavy soils, i am in clay and mine are doing fine, but i have made sure they are raised above the surround soil and that their is a good 2 ft of compost/sand under them.
a grevillea worth chasing is grevillea yamba sunshine, also look for gin gin gems - grevillea obtusafolia, they are good shelters for birds and against wind. also dont forget to plant a coconut ice, similar in size looks etc to a robyn gordon but a lighter colour flower.
verticordias are normally found coastal but i am finding verticordia grandis, grown from a tuber is doing great, in fact is the best growing plant in the garden this summer, grows in wild from 60 cm to 3 metres in height, i find they grow to a metre in my gardens then 2 metres or more in width, birds love the flowers.
another hardy, drought proof clay plant is the acacia guinettii, i have one that was planted here 3 years ago, or more the point 2.5 years before i moved to the block, so had that long without human care in a zone of low rainfall. is now a healthy 1 metre in height, about same in spread and has soft fern like leaves.
jack
Head Curator

Return to Australian Natives