Lilli Pilli Hedge

A forum for discussions and questions related to propagating and caring for Australian native plants.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack

Lilli Pilli Hedge

Postby Greeny » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:38 am

Ive been trying to grow a hedge from lilli pilli. Ive got the rhyophytic race ones I think they were called. Anyway I havent had much luck. Ive pruned regularly as recommended but theyve all grown very bare with big holes all through them. Ive been growing for 2 and 3/4 years now. Some of them have only reached just over a metre and some of them the leaves are very pale yellow and dont get much new growth. Im wondering if I should chop them right back below the bare branches? Will this help? I thought this was going to be an easy plant to grow but its not looking good. They arent in full sun as they are up against a fence on the western boundary so they dont get much sun in the afternoon but the rest of the day they get full sun. Any advise appreciated.
Greeny
Lawn trimmer

Re: Lilli Pilli Hedge

Postby bubba louie » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:43 pm

A good start would be to add you location to your profile. What is the soil like?
“Just living is not enough... One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.”
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby Greeny » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:56 pm

Im on the northern beaches of sydney, the soil is quite poor as its full of builders rubble. I presume they back filled the land decades ago with rubbish which is sad.When I established the garden I pulled out so much rubbish but there is only so far you can go. Im having luck with lots of other plants though including some natives such as leptospernum but grevillias and lilli pillis are struggle.
Greeny
Lawn trimmer

Postby Greeny » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:31 am

hullo anyone here?? dead forum huh?
Greeny
Lawn trimmer

Postby bubba louie » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:44 pm

You have been neglected haven't you. :oops: :oops: :oops:

I'm not in the right area to advise you but hopefully someone will be along.
“Just living is not enough... One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.”
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby littlegarden » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:09 pm

It is a bit dead over the holidays. I'm not sure myself as I too thought lilly pilly was easy to grow. Could you take a few photos to give folks an idea of what's wrong? Are there large established plants nearby (like gum trees) that might be stealing the nutrients and water from them?
littlegarden
Senior Curator

Postby Pam » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:14 pm

Greeny wrote: Ive got the rhyophytic race ones I think they were called.

Sorry Greeny, but I have absolutely no idea what you mean by this, and google was of no help.

Assuming you're already meeting their needs for food and water, the first couple of things you would need to look at are how well the soil drains, and the ph level of the soil. Without having some idea of which lilly pilly it is you have, it is not possible to tell you what it should be, as they vary greatly in their requirements.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Re: LillY PillY Hedge

Postby TasV » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:53 am

Closest match is rhyniophytic which refers to a group of plants known only from their fossil remains so i isn't this. Syzygium, Acmena, and Eugenia are the three (edited because I was picked up on my typo :roll: ) genera from which we find plants refered to as Lilly Pilly. There is only one species of Eugenia native to Australia (E. reinwardtiana), six species of Acmena native to Australia and roughly 50 species of Syzygium native to Australia. There are some exotic speciess and cultivars of these thess genra found and grown in Australia. Not all are suitable hedging varieties. Add to this a multitude of cultivated varieties and hybrids... this makes giving good advice difficult. If you could put a photo up of leaves, plant, flowers, fruit, etc we could give a more informed response.
Last edited by TasV on Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail." -- Abraham Maslow
TasV
Gardening Sage

Re: LillY PillY Hedge

Postby bubba louie » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:02 pm

TasV wrote:Closest match is rhyniophytic which refers to a group of plants known only from their fossil remains so i isn't this. Syzygium, Acmena, and Eugenia are the two genera from which we find plants refered to as Lilly Pilly. There is only one species of Eugenia native to Australia (E. reinwardtiana), six species of Acmena native to Australia and roughly 50 species of Syzygium native to Australia. There are some exotic speciess and cultivars of these thess genra found and grown in Australia. Not all are suitable hedging varieties. Add to this a multitude of cultivated varieties and hybrids... this makes giving good advice difficult. If you could put a photo up of leaves, plant, flowers, fruit, etc we could give a more informed response.

What about Waterhousea. Where does it fit in.
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby TasV » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:26 pm

I'm not familiar with Waterhousia... looks like there's four then :)
"When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail." -- Abraham Maslow
TasV
Gardening Sage

Postby bubba louie » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:11 am

TasV wrote:I'm not familiar with Waterhousia... looks like there's four then :)

It seems like it's a name change thing.

http://asgap.org.au/APOL30/jun03-6.html
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby jodie 123 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:47 am

we have a row of 'waterhousia floribunda"weeping lilly pilly growing here

we are growing it as a hedge as a wind break ,its growing rally well for us with leaves down the ground

its listed as a great shade tree or specimen tree for suburban gardens or parkland
a medium to large evergreen tree with a dense canopy of weeping foliage

where live it gets wind, rain you name it and is thriving
jodie 123
Curator

Return to Australian Natives